Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 10:45 PM   #31
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Viper 10 what is your take on Viper vs Z06 and Cobra R?
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 01:46 AM   #32
Viper 10
AF Enthusiast

JD, you are absolutely right about the competitiveness of a Z06. The truth of the matter, that the Z06 makes Dodge produce a better Viper and vice versa with Z06's. believe me when I say that Bob Lutz (ex-President of DC and newly appointed head of design for GM) that he will produce a Super Corvette (the project has been labeled "Viper Killer" at GM) that will compete with the Viper directly. The Z06 is a much easier car to drive on street or the track, because it is much more forgiving.

F20, that's a difficult comparison to make because they are all great cars. I think that it would be a fairer comparson if the folks at Ford decide to resurrect the GT-40 (which is currently being evaluated). As I have said before, the Viper has forced the other manufacturers to make better products (like the Z06 and the GT-R Mustang). In the hands of amatuer drivers you can take your pick on which is best (and it really becomes a matter of loyalties and personal tastes). Put these cars in the hands of an equally qualified track driver and the Viper wins in all categories. This comparison is not a matter of cost, as it is a matter of taste and preference. The Mustang and the Z06 are much more forgiving than the Viper to drive on the street or track.

I am personally not a Viper fanatic or a Mopar fan. I love all high performance cars. I own a Corvette because Iat the time, it was the best designed American performance car around. The only acr that could out perform it was the Porsche Turbo. I bought the Viper for much of the same reasons, on top of being a retro or throw-back car to the American racers of the 1960's like the Cobra Daytona Coupes that raced and dominated Le Mans. I love everything there is to love about cars, which includes the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and feel of the driving experience.

The Viper appeals to the testosterone in all guys that remind us all of the Matchbox or Hot Wheels toy that we all owned as a child (that had the American paint scheme of blue with white stripes). Think about it the nexttime you have a chance to really look over a Viper. There is no compromise. Everyting about the car is extreme. This is testosterone that existed long before we discovered what women were.

Cars are like beautiful women, you can't get enough of either of them.

Have a great weekend.

Brad

Ps: I am a huge fan of Audi's and S2000's. I even used to race Audi's, Datsun's and BMW Alpina's in my younger days. As a result of being a track rat in my youth, I was also blessed with being able to drive many dream cars like Cobra's, Ferrari's, Lambo's and Vectors.

Viper 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 05:06 AM   #33
F20C
AF Enthusiast

I would like to drive Viper a few times. The torque would just pinned you to the back of the seats I suppose. Once I was chasing a Viper to get a better look and that car just flat out play with me. Whenever I get close he would speed up and move further ahead.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 09:10 PM   #34
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Thumbs up Viper 10

Great editorial. Thanks for sharing your opinions.

I too am a fan of high performance cars in general. Nothing is as exhilirating and generally speaking attainable (when compared with many other forms of adrenaline rushes, in that cars are always there, while going sky diving or riding a roller coaster is a once in a while event) as a fast car. People think I am nuts for how much money I sink into my car (my Integra GS-R), for the reason that I want better performance. I am slowly by surely moving up the performance food chain, though I know that most likely I will ever be able to touch a Viper. 1.6 liters versus 8.0? I don't think so...

I'm also very jealous, as the fastest car I've ever sat at the controls of is a 2000 Porsche Carrera - and don't get too excited - I got to drive it around a parking lot. In time, I'll get to drive a Viper, and other fast cars.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Viper | Viper SRT19 Roadster