Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Deevo
AF Newbie

Frozen Fuel Line? Give me your opinions

Hey guys,

I posted this in the Mazda section, but posting it here too because it isn't a mazda specific problem didn't seem like a bad idea to me. I'm just looking for some opinions on this one.

I have a 97 626 4 cyl LX. Stupid me let it run down to under 1/4 of a tank in the middle of the winter, and then decided to fill it up on one of the coldest days of the winter (-25 celcius, so thats about -18F or so, I think). Braught it home, parked it, and 2 days later went outside to start it. It fired up for about 1 second and cut out.

Ive put a bottle of Heet in the gas tank, but that didn't help it start after letting it sit for a day (Duh, because heet is a preventative measure, I know), and I dont have access to a garage to put it in to warm it up, and the temperature here is not set to go above freezing anytime soon.

So, I just want to know if this sounds like a frozen fuel line to everyone else out there, and what you guys think I should do to try and get the gas flowing again if it is. Right now, since the car doesn't have a block heater, I've placed a space heater under the car, and then piled snow around the the entire car to try and keep the heat in to get the temperature up high enough under the car to get rid of the blockage.
Does this sound smart? Or do I just sound like an idiot?

I'm kind of worried that it may be the gas pump, but I'm wondering if this sounds like a frozen fuel line problem. I'm the type that always exspects the worst.

Thanks guys!

Deevo
Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
HeavyJ
AF Regular

Re: Frozen Fuel Line? Give me your opinions

Take a blow dryer, on low setting and make sure before hand there is no gas leaks, warm the fuel filter. More than likely that is where the ice is. Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on? If not, check fuses/relays first.
HeavyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Deevo
AF Newbie

I just tried to warm up my fuel filter with a hair drier to no prevail. I'm not sure if I can hear the pump or not, to be honest... I don't know what it sounds like. I checked the fuses (They are the ones marked EGI, right?). Any thoughts?? I dont want to have to get a tow truck and get it taken to a shop, where I know I'll get taken, because I'm not at home right now, and I cant get it to my normal mechanic, but it's starting to look that way
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

The quick and dirty way (since its so bloody cold) would be to pull the fuel line off at the injector fuel rail, point it down in a cup, and have a friend turn the key to the "on" position. If you don't get a good steady stream of fuel, then the issue is fuel related. Check the fuses and stuff first before you assume ice.

Filling up when its cold is not a bad thing. I lived for 26 years in PA and I only had to use fuel line anti-freeze once, and that was on a car that had a leaky gas cap and let water in.

And I think your space heater with packed snow is a brilliant idea. It only had to raise it to just above 32 and keep it there for a little while.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Deevo
AF Newbie

Yeah, the space heater idea was just something I thought of because I don't have the option of a garage, and I was trying to think of any possible way to get the same effect. Too bad it didn't work tho. I went out this morning and it still wouldn't fire up.

It turns over fine, but it just wont catch. I checked the fuses, and the relay is fine, But I don't know how to check the EGI main fuse, I'd never dealt with those large, square fuses before. How do you check those??

So, since I've heated the car up AND if the if the fuses are fine, does this sound like the fuel pump is shot?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Deevo
AF Newbie

Scratch that, It's the EGI Inj. fuse that is ok, I cant check the EGI Relay fuse. It's in such a terrible spot in the fuse box that I can't get at the hook to release it from it's slot, and since I'm at university, I don't have any tools remove the box itself and get at it.

This is really starting to suck. I'm going to wait until monday. They are calling for it to get up to 6 degrees (Around 43F, I think). If that doesnt do anything... time to call a tow truck. I'm gonna have to sell some stuff to get the money for this one. Horray for university life, Mr. Noodles, here I come.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Deevo
AF Newbie

Well, It's a no go. Still wouldn't start. The tow truck came by today and took it to a shop. Hopefully this isnt an expensive repair. It got to the point that I could smell gas, it was cranking, but my oil light was coming on. I checked my oil, and it smelled like gas, so I think that may have been the problem. Lets see what they find...
Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
Ragtop_Renegade
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo
I checked my oil, and it smelled like gas, so I think that may have been the problem. Lets see what they find...
Well, it appears now you've flooded it. REALLY flooded it. Wonder why it wouldn't fire for you... Maybe you didn't have a freeze up. Could be your ignition module/coil decided it was time to go to that big zoom-zoom in the sky...

My only freeze-up was a 1987 Lebaron GTS - it had under 1/8 tank of gas at the time. I dumped in a bottle of heet, let it sit for 15 minutes, then poured in 5 gallons of gas. Hopped up and down on the back bumper to mix it up. I looked like a fool idiot, but it fired right up.
3Rd gen F body floor pans/camaro door skin (L)

Why is it I see so many "Proud to be an American" bumper stickers on the backs of cars made in Japan or Korea??????
Ragtop_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Deevo
AF Newbie

Hey Guys,

Well, got it towed, turned out the distributor on it was gone... Hooooray for repairs.

Thanks for all the help though

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical