Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Buffordboy23
AF Newbie

bad window regulator?

I own a 94 Toyota Camry. I put a new window regulator (front driver's side) in the car about two years ago.

Recently, the electronic window stopped working properly--the window can go down but not up. I originally thought the window itself was getting stuck somewhere, which prevented the window from going up. This thought was not correct.

I ripped apart the whole door and detached the window from its mounting on the window regulator and removed the window regulator unit from its bracing to look at the unit in isolation. The metal window mounting that slides along the track is currently at its bottom-most position. When I try to raise the mounting along the track, I can hear a faint clicking inside the motor of the regulator for a brief moment but the mounting refuses to budge. It appears that the problem is internal to the motor.

Any thoughts? Should I just buy a new regulator or try to rip the motor apart and look at the windings around the spool? Last time I ripped the motor apart, the windings around the spool popped out at me like those "worms in a can" prank--I was never able to get windings back on spool properly. Any tips on how I can avoid this from happening again?

Thanks for your time.
Buffordboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: bad window regulator?

Doesn't the window regulator come with a new motor?

To get the motor loose without having the cable spool come apart, you could try inserting a putty knife between the motor and the spool housing, then keep pressure applied to the spool side. Once the motor is loose from the spool, you should be able to stop applying pressure. You might even be able to install a cable tie somewhere to hold the spool in place while looking at the motor.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical