Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
wazzup242
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wazzup242 Send a message via Yahoo to wazzup242
Timing belt

Hello, I am somewhat of a mechanic, an apprentice at a ford dealer and my dad has a kia sorento. They recommend getting the timing belt done at i believe 40k. I was wondering why this is so early as most fords are at 60k.

Also does anyone know if the 3.5 is a interference engine? What i mean is if the timing belt decides to give out is there going to be valve clashing? Most fords use belts on non interference engines and chains on interference engines but belts are recommended at 60k and chains at 100k.

Thanks for your help
wazzup242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
2007_Mustang_GT
AF Newbie

Re: Timing belt

I have a 2005 with the 3.5 and the service interval is 60k the rio is 40k.
2007_Mustang_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
robbie789
AF Newbie

alright is this vehicle american or canadian, and what year cause I work as a mechanic for kia in canada. I service the timing belt at 96 000 cause if any problems you could put them under warranty (water pump, tensioner, idler pulleys.
robbie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
RahX
AF Enthusiast

I don't think it is an interference engine. The timing belt should be done at 60k though. I would recommend pulling the radiator, it makes it a TON easier. Just make sure the radiator is sitting in the bottom mounting holes because if it isn't it will snap the rubber upper mounts which suck to replace.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Inman Lanier
AF Newbie

The '06 is recommended at 60K, American or otherwise. The motor is 10.0:1 compression ratio (the '08 3.3L is 10.4:1) - I'd be amazed if its NOT an interference motor. As I recall, in the day, the only non-interference motors were the 2.3L Ford and the older Volvos.

I just had my '06 3.5L Sorento done at 60,300 miles (two days ago). The old belt was returned to me per my request. It's immaculate - I'll do the next one at 90K. I had a similar experience with my '03 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L (manual said 60K except California - 90K). Something tells me the belts never knew they went to California vs. some other state!

If you're the original owner and you do NOT change the belt before your 100K power train warranty expires, if you have a failure of the belt I'm quite confident your damage won't be covered. Based on my experience of 1, however - my next change will be no less than 90K miles from now (150K miles).
Inman Lanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Remember if you buy used the warranty is cut in half 50,000 not 100,000. I think the water pump would go out before 90,000 at least a good chance. The pump is driven by the timing belt.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sorento