Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 09:06 PM   #31
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic
Re: Reducing Hydrocarbons (HC)

Just put it at 20. If a factory car can pass at 20, then there is a problem somewhere else. Run regular fuel. It burns easier than premium. Replace your o2 sensor and maybe change the air filter so you can get some air in the combustion chaimber. Do the basic tune up stuff.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:36 AM   #32
xveganxcowboyx
AF Regular

If you retard your timing too much you will have unburnt fuel. If you advance it too much (I think) your car will inject more fuel and thus increase emissions. Factory settings are probably best. If not, only a very modest advance.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #33
musicsurfman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to musicsurfman Send a message via MSN to musicsurfman

We Are Talking Ignition Timing Here And Not Cam Timing Just To Get Everyone On The Same Page. Cam Timing Is A Whole Different Subject Which Is Only Done For Maximum Power Or Maximum Effeciency.

Retarding Lowers The Amount Of Time The Mixture Has To Burn. Advancing Sparks The Mixtures Earlier In The Cylinder. I'm Not Saying Advance The Car 10 Degrees I'm Saying Like 1 Or 2, 3 At The Most In Severe Cases. Which Will Give You A Longer Burn And More Power. Stock Is The Economy Point Slight Advance Is For Power But More Heat, Slight Retard Is For Less Heat And A Cushion For Increased Boost.

18 Btdc Is Retarded From 20 Btdc. To Advance You Increase The Number.
musicsurfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:43 PM   #34
theDRIFTER
AF Newbie

EGR's SUCK!!!

I just replaced the CAT, did a tune up, and replaced the O2sensor, my engine is giving me a code of 32, which I have determined to mean that the EGR valve is faulty . I have a '91 S13, has anyone else had this problem? Also, are there any short-cuts to replacing the EGR? It looks like a B!TCH to swap out! Is there a way to repair my old EGR? I really don't want to buy a new one.
theDRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:50 PM   #35
musicsurfman
AF Enthusiast

Pull Your Egr Off And Spray It Out With Carb Cleaner If Its Sticking. Or You Can Run Seafoam Through Your System Which I Did On My Ka24e And My Egr Problems Went Away. My Egr Was Getting Stuck Open Which Lowers Gas Mileage And Makes The Car Run Like Crap.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:01 PM   #36
theDRIFTER
AF Newbie

How did you use the SEAFOAM to affect the EGR? Where did you put it in? They're website doesn't tell me which product to use nor which way I should use it to clean my EGR. Please be specific because I REALLY don't want to pull my EGR off!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:57 PM   #37
musicsurfman
AF Enthusiast

it'll clean the vacuum side of the egr which'll reduce the sticking.... because it depleats the oil residue.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:32 AM   #38
theDRIFTER
AF Newbie

Ok, I think I fixed the EGR problem, but the CHECK ENGINE light still is on. I checked the code on the ECU and it still says that the EGR is malfunctioning. Do I need to reset my ECU? If so, how is this done?

By the way... thanks for all the GREAT help so far, beats a repair shop at $80 an hour!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #39
corolla93mpg
AF Newbie

I always use fuel injector cleaner, especially before a somg check. It has worked for me always. I always have below the mx in HC.
Then again, I use double tip platinum sparks, put synthetic oil + slick50 + bardahl leak sealer. it has worked for me to keep blow-by checked.
I had problem with NO emissions(1400, when max is 800) before; a mechanic cleaned the EGR piping. It is due for a cleanup since NO climbed from last time.
corolla93mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #40
corolla93mpg
AF Newbie

Re: EGR's SUCK!!!

Have a mechanic clean up the EGR tubes. It cost me about 50 bucks.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #41
corolla93mpg
AF Newbie

To reset CHECK ENGINE codes you unplug the battery for 2 minutes. You will lose the memory( radio presets etc). or get a repair manual for your car( chiltons, haynes...); it will tell you how to clear codes( usually you jump two connectors on the ODB connector)