Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Kremer210
AF Newbie

90 Toronado Starting Issue

My 90 Toro, has 225,000 miles, 3.8 engine. It rarely ever starts the first or second time. It turns over very well, but doesnt fire right away. I wait for the pump to prime but sometimes it doesnt stop priming, maybe this is normal i dont know. It will eventually start, but I have to continually try, and try again. It has been wired for a push button start, due to an ignition wire in the column being broken. The key is only used to power the fuel pump and accessories. I dont suspect this as a problem since it still turns over and fires (eventually) and the setup worked perfectly for 6-8 months prior to this problem. I pulled all plugs and there was a white coating on them, so they have all been replaced. Any suggestions? Fuel pressure doesnt seem to be an issue since once it fires, it runs and runs beautifully. Im stumped. thanks in advance.
Kremer210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: 90 Toronado Starting Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer210 View Post
. I wait for the pump to prime but sometimes it doesnt stop priming, maybe this is normal i dont know..
No, that is not normal. It should stop priming in 2-3 seconds if the engine is not started.

you may have a problem with your fuel pressure regulator. It may be stuck open, preventing sufficient pressure from building.

Rent or borrow a fuel pressure gauge. The fuel line will have a Schraeder valve on it, at the top of the engine, for attaching the gauge.

So, attache the gauge and turn on the ignition. The pressure should build up to about 35 psi very quickly.

Now get the engine running. It should hold about 35 psi. Pull the vacuum line off the pressure regulator. The pressure should spike to about 45 psi, or so.

Now, turn off the engine. The fuel rail should retain pressure for hours or days after the engine is shut off.

If the gauge shows something different, your regulator and/or pump may be bad.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter, too.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Kremer210
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply, I will check that as soon as I get home, and will let you know.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Kremer210
AF Newbie

I am very sorry it has taken so long to reply, but work and my son being hospitalized has made it rough. I finally got a pressure tester and when i turn the key to on, without starting, the pressure is 30psi. With it still pressurized i turned the key off and within 10 minutes it dropped to 20psi. i pulled the vacuum line on the FPR and there is no evidence of gas in it. where should i go from here . . . replace the filter?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado