Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
carterpuma
AF Newbie

When did GM change their intake manifold gaskets?

Hey,

Bash me if you want but I really want to get an Impala(2004/05) but I need to know something. Did gm ever fix the bad intake manifold gaskets for the 3.4 engine??? They put out a technical service bulletin which stated that the problem cars were from 2000-2003 but did they replace the gasket with a different one in models starting in 2004 and later??? If they did then the motor should be reliable for awhile. I'm been looking on the internet for the past 3 days for an answer to this and I would REALLY appreciate any responses.

thanks
Drew
carterpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: When did GM change their intake manifold gaskets?

GM put out a redesigned manifold gasket in July 2002 for the 3.4 . They also recommend new intake bolts with sealer pre-applied on them to do the job correctly.GM part number for the gasket is 89017279 and the bolts are (short bolt) 11588915 and (long bolt) 11588914. You might want to recheck those part numbers with your GM parts dept. if you need to order them as those are the numbers I used back in '02 for my Venture (3.4),that I have on file.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
carterpuma
AF Newbie

thanks sir. Sounds like they should have the new parts in the 2004 models
carterpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

2004 is the first year that they used the new gaskets exclusively. Some early 03 models still came with the crappy plastic/rubber gaskets. Buying new bolts is unneccessary, as long as you clean the old threadlock off with a wire brush and re-apply threadlock during re-assembly. The old bolts are not TTY, and I have re-used them on every one of these jobs I've done with no issues. GM's bulletin includes the new bolts so the dealers can soak the warranty companies for more $$$$.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
. Buying new bolts is unneccessary, as long as you clean the old threadlock off with a wire brush and re-apply threadlock during re-assembly. The old bolts are not TTY, and I have re-used them on every one of these jobs I've done with no issues. GM's bulletin includes the new bolts so the dealers can soak the warranty companies for more $$$$.
Didn't we have this argument in another forum awhile back?? It is my understanding that the new bolts are stronger and have a revised torquing procedure for better clamping and retention. Why not do the job correctly the first time rather than having something simple as a bad bolt cause you to have to re-do the job all over again at great expense. It could be considered as a "cheap insurance policy" to replace the bolts at time of gasket replacement for added "peace of mind".

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
crazy Jim
AF Enthusiast

I reused the original bolts as well with no issues.

current vehicles:
'02 Impala LS 3.8L
'02 Trans Am WS6 LS1 6spd
'99 Grand Am SE 3.4L
'71 Cutlass SX 455/TH400
'04 YZ450F
'07 Kona Garbonzo (dowwnhill mountain bike)
crazy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Well, the choice is yours. You can use the old bolts ,(which I have myself when I rebuilt engines in the past or replaced a certain part that allowed me to re-use the bolts,)OR you can err on the side of safety and spend a few extra dollars and get the recommended bolts with the pre-installed special threadlocker. I, myself would rather spend the few extra dollars on bolts, especially after spending all those hours and grief R&R the intake gaskets, which is no easy job on many of these GM vehicles. How would you feel if you spent all that time and money doing the gasket replacement, only to complete the job and then have problems down the road in a short period of time which is traced back to a bad intake bolt (or 2 )? Don't "cheap out" on the job, do it right the first time.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 02-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Bolt replacement is totally unneccessary. The revised torque values are only for the proper clamping force on the revised gasket. The new GM bolts have the exact same head markings, so they are the identical hardness/strength of the old bolts. You can replace them if you wish, but there is no need to do so if you clean the old bolts and re-apply thread-lock.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
Greg Brady
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: When did GM change their intake manifold gaskets?

Thank you everyone who responded to this question.
I just bought a used 04 3.4 Chevy Impala and I had seen videos posted by people who had gasket failure and it wasn't pretty.
I was getting ready to spend big bucks to have the gaskets updated to prevent leak issues when I decided to check online when the gaskets were updated.
You guys saved me a lot of money with your information and I thank you for it.
Best wish's to all of you.
Greg Brady is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS