Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
papasmith
AF Regular

Strange Warning Light Problem

Had just started driving my 1994 J30 with 94k when I noticed that the brake light, battery light and, the transmission lights were all on at the same time. In my experience with older cars, I thought that the alternator was shot. Took it into a mechanic and was told that the alternator was working and since it was a 94, he didn't have the connectors to check the codes.

While he was explaining to me his findings and I was paying the diagnostic charge, the car was left running. When I went out to the car, lo and behold, the warning lights were off. Me and the mechanic scratched our heads and I left.

I have driven the car around 300 miles since then and the lights have not come back on. However, I know these warning lights did not come on for nothing. Since I am planning a cross country trip, I am concerned that the problem that these warning lights were pointing to is going to leave me stranded somewhere.

Any ideas??? I am still leaning toward an alternator problem or perhaps an electrical gremlin.

Thanks in advance.
papasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
swimshark
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to swimshark Send a message via MSN to swimshark
Re: Strange Warning Light Problem

you can buy a obd-1 connector for your j30 for abt $90 and download a free program called z-talk and you can use a laptop to connect to your ecu and read codes. other than that i have never had all the lights suddenly come on while driving. im leaning towards your alternator going.

My Car! Check it out.
swimshark is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria