Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
das_auto
AF Regular

Gunze Topcoat 501 and Gunze H20 = the same thing?

Hi guys!

The title says it all really. Is the Gunze Topcoat 501 spray the same thing as their water base bottle clear H-30 only in spraycan-form?

I use the 501 regularly and I'm a bit tired of the decanting procedure associated with using it in my airbrush. Therefore a bottled alternative would be great.

I've tried the solvent based GX100 from Mr. color and its very good but a bit too smelly for my apartment.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Best Regards!

Emil

Last edited by das_auto; 09-15-2015 at 04:31 PM.
das_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Re: Gunze Topcoat 501 and Gunze H20 = the same thing?

hej hej Emil,
all the gunze can (as well as ts13) have that typical smell. Of course is anyway better than GX100. I used it on my alfa 155 and my wife was already kicking me directly to Skallen from the windows for the smell (she just remember the fog...even if also that was glossy)
If you want anyway to try gunze glossy cans, buy the one with BLUE label, and not the older one with grey one.
It works much better, both are named top coat, and of course explanations are in okinawa japanese dialekt, a little bit far away from swedish or english.

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
das_auto
AF Regular

Ciao Paolo!

Quote:
all the gunze can (as well as ts13) have that typical smell. Of course is anyway better than GX100. I used it on my alfa 155 and my wife was already kicking me directly to Skallen from the windows for the smell (she just remember the fog...even if also that was glossy)
Sounds like you have a fierce wife! Maybe you should do more modeling, then sheīll get more used to the smell. Haha!

Quote:
f you want anyway to try gunze glossy cans, buy the one with BLUE label, and not the older one with grey one.
It works much better, both are named top coat, and of course explanations are in okinawa japanese dialekt, a little bit far away from swedish or english.

Well, I think you misunderstood my question a bit. I was asking if anyone knew wether...

This

has the same contents (resins, solvent) as...

This

Emil

Last edited by das_auto; 08-19-2015 at 09:41 AM.
das_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

I'd be interested to know this also. If it is the same I'd certainly buy a couple of jars. It would be handy to have a quick and easy, decal friendly clear, that I could put through the airbrush for smaller parts and stuff..
Old 08-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

I think they are not the same.
When I took the gloss from the blue can, I had to use laqueur thinner, while when I use H30 I use tamiya acrylic. Base is different btw.

Note I never could use the specific thinner from gunze color. The only one I get time ago was a glass bottle with identical stuff from tamiya acrilic thinner (x20A).

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
das_auto
AF Regular

Quote:
It would be handy to have a quick and easy, decal friendly clear, that I could put through the airbrush for smaller parts and stuff
If you have a dehydrator you could use Tamiya X-22 for this. Using one really transforms this clear. When cured with heat it can be polished out beautifully.
It needs a bit more polishing work than traditional clears (Topcoat, TS-13) though as itīs a bit difficult to not get a lot of texture. Thatīs why I
donīt use it very much.

Quote:
I think they are not the same.
When I took the gloss from the blue can, I had to use laqueur thinner, while when I use H30 I use tamiya acrylic. Base is different btw.
Iīve not tried using "iso-alcohol" thinners with the Top Coat either only used Gunze blue label thinners. Iīve run out of Topcoat right now but I have to try to use some different thinners when I get some. Maybe straight IPA will work?

Paolo: If you donīt know of it, a great place to get Gunze stuff in Sweden is Rebell Hobby in Stockholm. (www.rebell.com) They specialize in aircraft but have a full range of acrylic gunze, thinners etc.
also, if you order before lunch, shipping is overnight most of the time.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
das_auto
AF Regular

Hey guys!

It seems like there is some interest regarding this question and therefore Iīve been doing some experimenting with the Gunze H-30 Clear.

To start with Iīve clear-coated a piece of plastic-card. But first I sprayed it with acrylic Tamiya X-18. No primer, just paint, straight onto the plastic. fast-n-easy.

When dry it looked like this. The camera exaggerates the texture. Itīs rough but not sandpaper-like as in the pic.

I then shot 3 coats of H-30 clear thinned with Gunze green label thinners onto it. No real wet coats, just spraying it on like paint. Leaving 5 min. between coats to let them level.

I was left with a rather coarse orange peel. But nothing dramatic. As previously mentioned the surface was a bit rough to start with and it would be nice to see how forgiving the clear was to, say an automotive basecoat paint. As these can be quite coarse.

This was the result after clearing.

I then chucked the bit of card into my dehydrator for about an hour at 55 degrees celsius (131 deg. F).

This is about the equivalent of 16 hours of air drying at room temperature.
I usually dry my clears for 24 hours in the dehydrator. So this is really pushing it. And after an hour the clear was still a bit soft, but nowhere near as soft as I thought it would be. "The fingernail test" barely left a mark.

When the piece had cooled down I gave it a light sand with 4000 grit Micromesh to level the orange peel. This was very easy work.

After sanding I polished it up with the three Tamiya Compounds and a microfibre towel. No wax. And this was the result!

Itīs not a perfect result, but very promising. The H-30 clear is pretty tough. The solid it uses is really resistant to polishing. I did burn through a little bit in the corners, but that is simply down to a lack of coating thickness.
With some thicker coats and longer curing time in the dehydrator It will probably be pretty good.

Iīll do some more testing and get back to this thread when there are results to be reported.

Regards!

Emil
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
keveuh
AF Regular

On the pictures, the shine looks really good, very suited for a car body. I would personally love to find a "health-friendly" clear to use indoors easily. So I'm looking forward to see any updates.
keveuh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keveuh For This Useful Post:
das_auto (09-16-2015)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling