Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
s.mac22
AF Newbie

P1299 Overtemperature protection active

Has anyone had experience with this code? Nephew's 2001 Grand Marquis overheated due to coolant inlet pipe breaking on the rear of the intake manifold. This code came up, which is understandable. He said they drove the car about 2 miles from home w temp light on and parked the car. He said it didn't shut off on its own or lock up. I replaced the manifold w a used manifold from a 2001 Crown Victoria, everything is reconnected properly, replaced thermostat, TSU, has good fuel flow, battery reads correct V, added fresh coolant, but the car won't start. After several attempts to start, the starter solenoid energizes, but the motor turned over on only one try and has not turned over any more. I thought the motor may have seized, but it wouldn't have attempted to start (turn over) if that was the case. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, reconnected and erased stored codes w my ODB II scanner and tried to restart again w same results. Then I put the car in neutral, and attempted to turn the motor over manually, using a socket and ratchet on the flywheel nut. Wouldn't budge in either direction. My next step is to drop the oil pan and take a look at the bottom end. The only thing I could find in research is that the PCM may be damaged, but I would think if that were the case, that the motor would at least turn over and not just clunk from the starter - am I right?
I hope someone can give me a cyber hand with this, and i hope the motor isn't seized.
s.mac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Gtp1003
AF Newbie

Re: P1299 Overtemperature protection active

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.mac22 View Post
Has anyone had experience with this code? Nephew's 2001 Grand Marquis overheated due to coolant inlet pipe breaking on the rear of the intake manifold. This code came up, which is understandable. He said they drove the car about 2 miles from home w temp light on and parked the car. He said it didn't shut off on its own or lock up. I replaced the manifold w a used manifold from a 2001 Crown Victoria, everything is reconnected properly, replaced thermostat, TSU, has good fuel flow, battery reads correct V, added fresh coolant, but the car won't start. After several attempts to start, the starter solenoid energizes, but the motor turned over on only one try and has not turned over any more. I thought the motor may have seized, but it wouldn't have attempted to start (turn over) if that was the case. I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, reconnected and erased stored codes w my ODB II scanner and tried to restart again w same results. Then I put the car in neutral, and attempted to turn the motor over manually, using a socket and ratchet on the flywheel nut. Wouldn't budge in either direction. My next step is to drop the oil pan and take a look at the bottom end. The only thing I could find in research is that the PCM may be damaged, but I would think if that were the case, that the motor would at least turn over and not just clunk from the starter - am I right?
I hope someone can give me a cyber hand with this, and i hope the motor isn't seized.
Well understanding what you said. Many things could have happened. But. Reading. If the car will not turn over. It sounds like it's seized. What could have happened is one an intake leak putting coolant in the oil. Check that you do not have a milkshake looks brownish. If he overheated the motor too much. And the block is aluminum he could have melted the motor down changing the diameters. If the crank won't turn bad things. I first thought you had a bad negative cable. But with you said u tried to turn over with crank. It's bad. Question is did it leak into the motor when that went out. If there is a milkshake. Then she's done. The 2 miles would damage the bearings rather quickly but the not turning over at all. Think it needs a new motor. The milkshake is oil and coolant mixed. Odds are. You need a motor w from what I'm reading. I think it's a combo of overheating the motor and a milkshake damaged the lower end. It odds are low. The heads got so hot that the cams are frozen. That's a whole new bag of issues. U possibly can see if they move at all there's a rather large timing chain there and a bunch of work to check that. Do not use vise grips. U scar the cam and it just needs heads you have an issue again. There is a little slack there to check if the lower end is seized. Hope this helps but without being at the car. Unsure. One move thing. Is the starter locked up also. Other than those ideas there is nothing else I can think of. If the cam journals are wraped that could be it. Hope this can point you in the right direction. All I can think of. Head gasket could have blown and it's hydro locked
Gtp1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
Gtp1003
AF Newbie

Carefully take out each plug on whole motor. If it turns over by hand. You have a blown head gasket or a cracked head.
Gtp1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gtp1003 For This Useful Post:
s.mac22 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
s.mac22
AF Newbie

I'll be checking it out this afternoon, and post an update. Thanks
s.mac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #5
s.mac22
AF Newbie