Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 11:59 AM   #1
dc_21
AF Newbie

B16a2 or B18C

Tell me what you think people. I have a 93 Civic (it's a coupe) and I want to do an engine swap but before I do the swap I want to get the heads ported and polished. Here's my dilema though, I want to get a B16a2 with the headwork, but my best friend told me that I should go with a b18 because they are way better engines wich it is true because I also have a friend that's in our car crew and he has an RSX type S and he gives b16's a car head start and crushes them. But the story is way different when he goes up against a b18, it's always a close race. What engine would people get. Keep in mind that $ is an issue. For the cost of a B18 I can get a B16a2 with the heads ported and polished and with an LSD. If I go for the B18 I'm looking at over 4K with the head work and an LSD. :smoka: :smoka: :smoka: :smoka:
dc_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
MadScientist
Banned

Send a message via AIM to MadScientist
Spoon

I would say go with a Spoon Engine Assy. Spoon B16 and B18 cost the same. They are 11.3:1 Compresion. It is only the Center Mass but you can add any B-Series parts to it (Type-R Exh. Manifold). I have seen this Engine go for $6000 on other web-sites but, www.automotiveforums.com has it for $3500. I called and they are still adding Spoon parts.
Nice web-site also!!
Peace
Drew
www.automotiveforums.com
MadScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:54 AM   #3
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jcrx
I'm gonna call bullsh!t on that website,and here's why:I've seen the spoon catalog and the motors cost in excess of 5000(if someone proves this to be legit price then I will fully take that back).If they really were that cheap then more people would have them.If they really are that price,then go for it,another 1500 bucks for everything you need to make it run(sensors,alt,dist.,waterpump,both manifolds...etc...did I metion tranny I'm sorry add 700 more) and about another 1000 for all the stuff to swapped it in(mounts,linkage,axles,ecu and then realize that a you probably can't tell the difference between the spoon and a P&P sightly modded b16 or b18 for half the price.But back to your question if you think the b18 is better than get it.I have a b16a2 in a eg,very effective but then again I don't go around racing every moron that revs on me.But at the end of the day depending on where the motor came from and how abused it was there is no way to say which is going to be better once you put it in your car.The b18c starts with slightly better specs,but 10-15 hp can be made pretty easy.So how much do you want to pay to say you have a b18c vs do you want to pay less for the motor but have to makle up some ponies.Or for that price you can get a b16b once again though the power gain is significant enough to outweigh the price.To say that the b18 is better than the b16 is silly,they both have advantages and disadvantages.
jcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:42 AM   #4
MadScientist
Banned

No bull shit !!

Yeah I know it sounds like BS but its not! For one minute, did you think that maybe, other places are overcharging for Spoon?? You expect to pay alot for a Race engine ,so you do, and that is why there rape you at a price of $6000.
I will explain more now so you understand better. The Spoon product is purchased from Spoon at a Discounted Price. The more you buy the better the Discount. Buisnesses get better Discounts than Consumers in a Group Buy. Go to http://www.takakaira.com/ and look at the price of the Spoon Engine Assy. Looks like the same price on www.automotiveforums.com . So basically, Rare Trick buys the Spoon Engine Assy. at a Discount from the $3500, we will just say its 30%, that makes it $2450 for Rare Trick to buy. International Shipping is added to the price, and it is still at a lower cost, and Rare Trick still profits.
So, just to make things Clear, my name is Drew and you can call me at Rare Trick the number is on the contact page.
I dont agree with other companys taking atvantage of the consumer and making a $3000 profit and killing my fun of racing.
Peace
Drew
www.automotiveforums.com
Old 12-04-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

Howdy Drew,the reason I am skeptical is from Honda a new type R motor(just the head and block) is 5,500 euro of course that is from Honda sooo...I'm not saying it's not possible,and hell if your saying that you do sell them for that price then hell,there's finally someone who isn't trying to cash in totally by,as you say raping people,awesome.I knew it was possible cuz a friend out here found one in holland w/all the paper work for $600 complete swap with only around 1500 miles on it!!!!!The website did have some decent prices thats the lowest I've seen the vafc for,hell I've been looking for one,and that's about what I was trying to find one for.My other question would be do ya'll carry all the needed parts to build the motor complete and swap it in?
To the original guy though,if you got the flow you could try it out,the reassurrance of a brand new motor is,well reassurring.But it still will run ya a bit more than any other swap but hey if it is all new stuff you'd but puttin' done power numbers.
So do you own this place or just work there.Cuz I noticed at first you made it sound like it was just a place you knew of,then you say you can be contacted there what gives?BS detector going back up.

Last edited by jcrx; 12-04-2002 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:25 PM   #6
MadScientist
Banned

Busted

Ok you got me on the last one....
I Own Rare Trick!!! I am waiting on all the BS from Overture to list the web-site. What better way to promote than go for the peolpe that want to buy. Honestly, why did you not look at my Profile !! It says it in there!!
Anyway, sorry for the front!!
anyone want to AIM me I am on AOL under Raretrickauto.
Peace
Drew
www.automotiveforums.com
Old 12-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #7
jcrx
AF Enthusiast

I never check profiles,but at least ya came clean.Now,do ya got everything for the swap or just B/H?
Old 12-05-2002, 09:41 AM   #8
MadScientist
Banned

Spoon

I can get any Spoon Parts. I am Waiting on a Pricelist as of now, Should be here today actually.
You can AIM me or send me an Email, if you dont want to call!!
AIM: RareTrickAuto
Email: info@automotiveforums.com
Phone # is on the contact page.
:monkeypis (MSRP)
Trust me, I am just like everyone else who works 2 jobs trying to hook their car up.... I just decided to help everyone, in different ways.
Peace
Drew
www.automotiveforums.com