Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
MustXcape
AF Newbie

'87 Lebaron Stalls Out - any ideas?

My 1987 CHRYSLER LEBARON GTS 2.2L 135cid L4 TBI (D) automatic 4door hatchback has a tendency to stall unexpectedly. It will do this any time, anywhere, at any temperature (cool or hot). This problem is intermittant, with days or a week or more between incidents. Typically the car starts fine and drives fine for at least 3 miles before stalling. It can stall at any speed, from idle to highway speed (it has stopped cold on the interstate). Typically, it will then refuse to restart for at least 20-30 minutes before restarting and again appear to run fine.

I have checked the electrical connections and vacum lines for breaks.

The cap, rotor, spark plug wires, plugs, air & fuel filter, look good.

I checked the engine codes via the instrument cluster "check engine" light method and it showed no problems.

I suspect a fuel problem, but can't be sure. The most recent service work was to replace the rusted and leaking gas tank, reusing the old fuel pump and sender assemblies. But this was several months ago and the car had run fine (for awhile).

I had heard this problem was typical of MAP sensor failure so I replaced it with no affect.

Does anyone know a cause of this problem that might be specific to this vehicle?

Last edited by MustXcape; 06-27-2006 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Additional Information
MustXcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
87LeBarron
AF Newbie

Re: '87 Lebaron Stalls Out - any ideas?

This sounds earily like a problem I had with my 87 LeBarron yrs ago, I feel your fustration. If you have wires coming from your distributor cap, follow them and change that part. Forgot the name of it and I don't have my book handy to give you the name (but I am sure you can find it with all the work you have done already). Should be easy to find and cheap. Hope that helps and fixes it.
87LeBarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
87LeBarron
AF Newbie

I think the name is something like a pick-up plate or sensor. In addition to my recommendation, someone in this forum had a similar problem and the recommendation was the same.
87LeBarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:02 AM   #4
anamandy
AF Newbie

It is caused by the engine control module. It was a common problem that could be easily rectified in the past because Chrysler dealerships and auto parts stores had this part available. That's no longer the case. The only place you can find them are at junk yards or eBay, but because they are pulled from junk cars they usually don't work. I know. I tried over a dozen of them but to no avail. I finally had to junk the car even though it only had all of 36K miles on it. I've since purchased a Sentra but miss my Chrysler which I think was so much better than this new car. It certainly handled much better too.
anamandy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Lebaron