Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > MR2/MR-S
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 03:13 PM   #16
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Question about swapping in a 3SGTE in an NA MR2

well doing the swap shouldn't be too hard... provided you take into account the differences, they are the same car! check radiator size! gearbox ratios are different and a bunch of ather stuff. 12's are realistic, but concentrate on getting the swap right first. i'm gonna swap my 3s-gte to a newer engine some time ... mainly so i can build the new engine up completely before i drop it in...
TRD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:33 PM   #17
Bendy_Imoc
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Bendy_Imoc
Re: Re: Question about swapping in a 3SGTE in an NA MR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD2000
12's are realistic, but concentrate on getting the swap right first.
I am glad to hear that 12's is realistic cause I really wanted to be running with my dads camaro. As for getting the swap right I expect to spend the first six months or more making sure everything is perfect and broken in properly. Also someone told me with the jdm wiring harness and ecu I am going to have to re wire it to properly get my electronics working. Something about it being wired for a right hand drive car causes the cars electronics to be querky. After everything is good I will start with the mods. I am thinking of using a Wolf engine management system and upping the boost to 14 psi with the stock turbo. Then if I wanna do more boost i will replace or upgrade the turbo through some company like turbonetics.
Bendy_Imoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 03:41 PM   #18
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

yeah i've been trying to find out more about the wolf 3d v4 ...emailed them, no luck. thinkl it would be good but dont know upgradability. dad's camaro? please. you do know the potential these engines have don't you? i'd be dissappointed if you didn't match it with standard tubo... specially if the road got windy..
Old 07-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #19
Bendy_Imoc
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD2000
yeah i've been trying to find out more about the wolf 3d v4 ...emailed them, no luck. thinkl it would be good but dont know upgradability. dad's camaro? please. you do know the potential these engines have don't you? i'd be dissappointed if you didn't match it with standard tubo... specially if the road got windy..
LOL yeah no my dads camaro is not leaving the drag strip. I should be able to match him on it too with ease. I am gonna try to get my car to do well in the quarter mile and still be able to handle with the best of em on a windy road.

I was first told about the Wolf systems by my mechanic who will probably be doing the swap with me. He told me with the Wolf you can have the computer control in your car with pre programmed chips. Where I will be able to pop a chip into the control that automaticly changes the air fuel mixture and timing for the type of condition I'm running the car on. For example a chip for best gas miliege on long trips, a chip for drag racing, a chip for auto cross type racing. I'm not sure it's as easy as he describes it but it still sounds like a good system to use.

I love my car despite it's many problems and I want to build on it and make it in to a car I will end up keeping for a long time. It's my first car and my second MR2 in a way cause I drove my brothers 86 NA for a short while until it decided to die on me.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:46 AM   #20
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

I am in the 11s and their absolutely no reason I couldn't drive my car every day.
Mike Colon had a 10 second MR2 that is street driven.
There are many, many MR2s in the 12s that are daily drivers.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #21
Bendy_Imoc
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JekylandHyde
I am in the 11s and their absolutely no reason I couldn't drive my car every day.
Mike Colon had a 10 second MR2 that is street driven.
There are many, many MR2s in the 12s that are daily drivers.
Thats really really good to hear. I was worried about it at first when I was planning it out. After reading these forums and what all the people who have experience with this have to say. My plans have changed so much and a new one is growing. It's great, I'm really excited to get started on my car.

There might be one thing that you guys might be able to help me with. Within the next 6 months depending on how this new job goes. I will be purchasing my new turbo engine and installing it. First off I would like to know if any of you know a good place to go through. The original engine I was looking at was the JDM 93 with lsd. The guy that i was getting it from quoted me $2100 shipped to my city where I then would have to pick it up. This includes everything engine, trans, ecu and wiring harness cut behind the seats. The company he gets his motors from I believe was called motor wrecks. I've heard mixed reviews about these guys and am not sure I want to go through them. If any of you have any tips on buying the engine or what engine I should get and where from let me know. I would greatly appreciate the info from you experienced forum members. Oh and the last thing I wanted to know is if going with a JDM engine shipped in or with a US spec would be better.
The US spec seems to be a bit harder to find. Especially one that I could use.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #22
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

i know bugger all about us spec, cept they dont have the horses but thats the cat mainly. hey hyde, what have you done to run 11's? and do you know how much power you have?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:35 PM   #23
JekylandHyde
AF - Advisor

TRD2000, click here: http://www.jekylhyderacing.com
Then click Hyde ... then clikc modifications

As my siggy states, I dynoed at 308 rwhp at 20 psi of boost. I am running 11s at 21-23 psi of boost.