Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #16
brainbrake
AF Newbie

Re: Transmission won't break free from engine?

I have a 1983 Chevrolet S-10 pickup with the 2.8L V6 with 5-speed transmission, I stopped at a stop light and there was a huge explosion underneath the truck, then I could not shift. The garage quoted $700 to fix it, and since I did not have the money I started trying to fix it myself. I took off everything under the truck that needed to come off. I bought a 1/2 inch socket drive 3 foot long so I could get it passed the transmission and used a pipe on the end of my ratchet to break loose the bell housing bolts, which it did and I removed them. I then began the process to remove the bell housing and transmission, I have done just about everything I know to do, but the unit will not come off. I can shake it all around, and it has come off 1/4 inch, but that is it. Something drastic has happened in this mechanism, and I think has jammed it up to the point that it can not be pulled off. Drastic takes drastic measures, so I am thinking maybe I need to cut away the bell housing with a torch, so I can see what has happened and remedy the problem. Here is a question: If I unbolt the transmission from the bell housing can I then remove the bell housing? Any help for a drowning amateur?!
brainbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Transmission won't break free from engine?

Why are you removing the bell housing? Remove the trans to bell housing bolts, if it won't come, try and pry it out side to side, we can assume the shaft is out, mount disconnected?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K