Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
cartwrna
AF Newbie

Angry Bad deal can anyone help me??

I had posted on here the other day about how I lost my power steering water pump alternator etc..well I found out it was the alternator due to the pulley being bad so the serpentine belt came off. Well today I had a ''friend'' help me change it. Upon getting it on he was trying to pry the serpentine belt on using a screw driver and I kept askin him why he wouldnt just use the belt tensioner..finally I told him to step aside and let me do it the right way so I used the tensioner and got the belt on with no problems. Upon starting the car I realized that for some reason there was antifreeze shooting out from under the hood..upon taking a look I realized it was coming from the radiator hose where it bolts into the motor right beside the alternator..well what happened is that my friend somehow broke the bolt of inside the motor on the end of the hose...how do I go about getting the end pieve unscrewed from the motor now??? The bolt broke of flush with the motor so there is no getting pliars or any other tool on to simply just unscrew it..are there any tools for specific reasons like this? I assume it will be easier than getting a the average bolt out do to this one is hollowed out..any ideas of a simple way to get this out and is it a easy and relatively low cost fix???? Any replies are greatly appreciated..just need to get the olds back on the highway!!
cartwrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
jrecken
AF Regular

Re: Bad deal can anyone help me??

You said it was a hollow bolt ?
if that is the case just go buy an easy out at your local hardware and it should take it right out.
If your able to get to it easy enough you could also use a center punch and using a hammer just tap it back out.

good luck
jrecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
unboundmind
tchr & learner

depending on the bolt you can drill them out.

2008 Mazda 3i 2.0L Manual

Take what lands on your plate and transform it into something you can eat.
Ram Das

unboundmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
cartwrna
AF Newbie

It is a hollow bolt...a quite big one actually..I would say maybe 3/4 of an inch in diameter...if I use a hammer and punch to try and take it ou wont it fall into the motor and mess stuff up?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
jrecken
AF Regular

when I said use a center punch and hammer I did not mean to drive it through. I meant you put the center punch on the outside edge of the broken bolt and using the hammer to tap it unscrewing counterclockwise.
Your best off getting the easy out and it should take it out with no problem since it is a hollow bolt.
jrecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
cartwrna
AF Newbie

I wish I had a picture to put up here but the car is currently across town..there is no part on the outside to hit on at all..the bolt broke off flush with the motor so its just the round hollow part screwed tightly into the motor..
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

Can you post a picture of the broken bolt? The radiator hose isn't really by the alternator, so I'm guessing you meant one of the heater hoses.

Easy out (EZ-out?) is actually a brand name for a screw extractor.
Mickey#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
cartwrna
AF Newbie

I assume it was a heater hose then..whatever it is the hose runs directly under the alternator and is bolted into the motor right next to the alternator...all I know is it has quite a big bolt that the hose goes around and then a clamp is put over the hose to hold the bolt in. whatever it is it supplies antifreeze to the motor because after it broke when you start it all that happens is the antifreeze starts to come out of the motor from that hole and the antifreeze gets on the serpentine belt causing it to squeek and start smoking..
Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

We really need a picture. If it's the piece that the hose fits onto then it's not a bolt. I wouldn't expect the belt to start smoking just because some coolant got on it. You may have another problem.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
cartwrna
AF Newbie

it just looks kinda like a bolt. its hollow the whole way through so the coolant can run through it from the hose to the motor. but it has the octagon shape going around it to tighten it in the motor. One end the rubber piping goes over and has a clamp to clamp it down then it has an octagon shape around the center and the end that goes into the motor has threads on it. it broke off right after the octagon shape and left the threaded part in the motor or a component of the motor. (I dont know a whole lot about mechanics..just stumbled across this site and everyone has really helped out.)
Old 05-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
cartwrna
AF Newbie

And im pretty sure its the coolant getting on the belt is causing it to smoke because if we pour water on the belt so that the coolant is not on it and it cant get hot then it wont smoke...there is no other way to explain the belt starting to squeek and smoke really that I can think of..not a logical one anyhow..besides maybe belt is on wrong or to tight but we used a diagram of how to put the belt on and it matched up correctly.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Mickey#1
AF Enthusiast

I looked at my 98 Bonneville & they must have changed over the years. If you can, post a picture. I'll go look on Rockauto.com & see what they show.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
cartwrna
AF Newbie

I just did alot of web surfing looking into it and found someone with the same thing that happened to me and they offered a tutorial on removing it..it is the heater hose connector that broke off...I need to get a Dorman heater hose connector removal tool which I was able to call my local O'Reillys and they do have them in stock for $4.99...looks like it goes on the end of a drill and somehow turns the broken part out with the drill in reverse since its hollow..just have to make sure not to mess the threads up..here is what happened to my car you can look at this picture and have an idea of what I was trying to explain http://www.angelfire.com/mech/pa/heater_hose.html but this website shows the at home way to do it..im gonna go the safer way by purchasing the tool made for this sort of thing.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
cartwrna
AF Newbie

Got the ol' regency up and running. It ended up being about a 5 minute fix. Had to get a radiator hose connector removal tool which looks sort of like a drill bit but instead you put it on a socket wrench and turn it on the inside of the radiator hose connector that was broken off and it got it right out. The one that broke off was made out of low grade plastic which I assume is why it busted so easy. The replacement I got at O'Reilly auto parts for $5.99 which was quite the cheap fix. And the removal tool cost me a low $4.99. Thanks for your help everyone.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
antifreeze , oldsmobile , radiator
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Ninety Eight