Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
327chevy
AF Regular

08 Silverado rear brakes

I had to do some brake work to my truck (08 crew cab ) and was a bit leery to tackle it at first,I can't remember the last time I tackled drum brakes when it didn't end up with a lot of cursing and extra parts.So I picked up the new shoes and drums before hand because once I started pulling things apart I pretty much had to finish the project.To my surprise the shoes are only held on with a large spring rather than the old fashion pin/retainer style and this actually is way easier to work with,IMO.So to make a long story a bit shorter what are you guys using for brake parts? Local auto parts store brand or do you have premium brand stuff on your ride? I used the store brand shoes and drums because I don't drive the truck a whole lot,maybe twice a week for short runs,and figured popping for premium brand stuff was not necessary but after driving the truck for a while now I can't say as I'm all that impressed with the feel of the generic shoes gripping power.I hate the thoughts of wasting a couple hundred bucks on inferior parts but I may just end up going for Raybestos or some such brand.
327chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 08 Silverado rear brakes

I would get new drums. see if the braking is better. the drums are chinese metal that rapidly wears not like the drums made in the past pre 1990 era.. 50K miles the drums usually are worn. the cheap shoes eat at the soft drums much faster.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
327chevy
AF Regular

I put new drums on when I did the shoes,again store brand,but like you said no doubt probably cheap chinese metal and likely wont last.I kept the oem drum when I did the brake job because they are still in decent shape and I'm going to try getting them turned on a brake lathe and maybe put them back on.
327chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327chevy View Post
I put new drums on when I did the shoes,again store brand,but like you said no doubt probably cheap chinese metal and likely wont last.I kept the oem drum when I did the brake job because they are still in decent shape and I'm going to try getting them turned on a brake lathe and maybe put them back on.
cutting the drums makes the drum radius too big then the poor braking. I do not cut drums.

shoes wearing at the top means the drums are too worn. hard time getting the drums off sticking to shoes because of the rim edge lip this is another sign of drum wear.

since you did use the new drums I would measure them see if they are the correct size another chinese ISSUE ..poor QC...

since you have drum rears work the parking brake from a stop fwd/reverse to get the self adjusters to set the shoes ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado