Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:39 AM   #16
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

Re: wacky wiper syndrom w/wacky AC too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Hopefully, the solders on the new board should be OK so yes, this will solve the problem.
and....you are left with a board for getting experienced with the soldering gun.......
UPDATE:

I took the advice that I have been reading about on this and other sources on the internet.

For my 1995 Ponitac Transport (3.8L) I purchased the following wiper motor pulse board:

See here:
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/deta...ption.asp?8917

Or here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

Took it back to my friendly neighbourhood GM dealer... and guess what? They told me this part will NOT fit my vehicle! Although he didn't take out the motor from my van, he showed me a new replacement motor. While the shape of the board is the same, the connector is different, and the circuitry on the board is different. He siad the one I purchased is good for other GM trucks, but not the Transport/Lumina.

I did a lot of searching before I purchased this damn thing, and have never seen on any forum the idea that the circuit board on a 1995 Transport wiper motor is irreplaceable! So now I'm out another $50 (canadian - $25 US + $20 CDN customs) and still no closer to a solution.

I suppose I can live with wipers that only work on high, but I would really like to fix this!

Again, from what I've read I'm not 100% sure I believe the guy, although he seemed pretty sincere about it - he admitted the price GM was charging for a new motor was high, and suggested I look around for rebuilt motors somewhere else, so he had no reason to lie to me.

I'd like to try to take the motor out myself, but I looked under my hood and I can't even find the darn thing... I see a bunch of bolts where I think it is but I'm not even sure.

I am so frustrated right now...

Is it possible I bought the wrong circuit board? Is the "right" circuit board available anywhere?

Anyone have any other advice?
Icarus3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
LMP
AF Enthusiast

for a comparison, look at this:

www.avigex.ca/xport/pulsecards.jpg

When I took mine off to remake solders, it looked exactly as the one (for a Suburban) illustrated in the "jaguar" document referenced in a previous post. I cannot tell if a Suburban has a "park" position...may be the cards look alike but boast different functions...hence, maybe they have a slightly different plug. ANd different production runs may have some components look slightly different but doing exactly same thing, and since you have the card, if plugs are different, I'd consider seriously unsoldering the plugs and swapping them to the other card...but then if you start playing with a soldering gun, ...may be just rework the solder connections on the original card.......it might fill the bill.....

However, also as illustrated in same prevous post , you must have faith to figure out that the motor is really there and that you could take it off...but , the illustrations show it like there is nothing around, and there is some stuff around, but nonetheless, taking the motor off is really easy...much easier that I would have thought in the first place...maybe the most difficult is to disconnect the plug...but do that only once the motor is dropped, at least you will see whatr you are doing, and you will not break the plastic locking tab that makes removing it blind almost impossible.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #18
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

The motor board from the 1993 Transport shop manual looks the same as the one I purchased, but it is hard to tell from the angle of the illustration. Do you know if they changed the design from the '93 to the '95?

Have you ever seen a wiper motor board with a "different" connector?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #19
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

One more thing.. when I asked the mechanic to show me how to remove the motor myself - he said it was very difficult, and that he had to lift the transmission out to get to it!
Old 01-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #20
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Talking

..transmission..??? .....Bs...
Oh...the only difference with the '95 is the "dust buster" look of the '93 was somewhat "blunted" in '94 and that was kept til '96, and this cosmetic change applied to the front 8 inches of the car..that's all.
From the '93 board illustration, can you tell if your connector is similar? Honest, mine is the only one I've seen "live"

Last edited by LMP; 01-11-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #21
nobshifter
AF Newbie

wacky wipers . before you rip your van apart try puting a ground wire from wiper motor to car frame somewhere . worked like magic for me
nobshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #22
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

Re: Re: wacky wiper syndrom w/wacky AC too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobshifter
wacky wipers . before you rip your van apart try puting a ground wire from wiper motor to car frame somewhere . worked like magic for me

I'm still working on finding the motor

Anyway, it's -25 C out there today, and I don't have a heated garage to work in, so this is all going to have to wait for me...

Assuming I do eventually find the motor - where on the motor should I connect the ground wire?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #23
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Wait here: the motor assembly has NO internal electrical connection to body ground whatsoever; unit ground is solely through one of the wires (B) of the connector.
www.avigex.ca/xport/wipercircuit.jpg

Grounding the unit externally just by itself has no effect at all; HOWEVER, playing around the wiper motor assembly can displace the connector a little and in fact cause it to make that poor cold solder contact inside that is the cause of the problem. I myself used to displace the wire bundle with my hand to make it work before solving the problem for good. Solving the problem with an external ground is most probably purely incidental.

I agree that the motor is not in a place that you can access without the confort of a heated place . It is up there, under the dash in the engine compartment on passenger side, above wheel well, just as shown by the drawings I have posted before. Use good lighting. And there is NOTHING else to be removed but the motor itself.
www.avigex.ca/xport/wipermotorphoto1.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/wipermotorphoto3.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/wipermotorphoto8.jpg
www.avigex.ca/xport/wipermotorphoto9.jpg

A neckache is a possibility...

Last edited by LMP; 01-18-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #24
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

Thanks for posting those pictures!

Now at least I have a reasonable starting point!

I'll give it a try as soon as I have a chance.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #25
nobshifter
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: wacky wiper syndrom w/wacky AC too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus3000
I'm still working on finding the motor

Anyway, it's -25 C out there today, and I don't have a heated garage to work in, so this is all going to have to wait for me...

Assuming I do eventually find the motor - where on the motor should I connect the ground wire?
conect it to one of the bolts holding the wiper motor on , any thing metal and the other end to a bolt on the fender
Old 01-31-2005, 08:15 AM   #26
Icarus3000
AF Newbie

Well, I finally gave in and took the car to an independent mechanic. He had no problem installing the after market circuit board I bought - and wipers now work fine.

The GM dealer's mechanic outright lied to my face and charged me $100 to do it.

Guess where I will NEVER be going again?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:06 PM   #27
LMP
AF Enthusiast

So now you can sing in the rain......Bravo!
Old 05-14-2005, 10:07 AM   #28
nobshifter
AF Newbie

1996 transport anybody had problems starting your van only once and a while? when turned on there is a relay buy the fuel injector fuse under the hood that clicks , the engine turns over but will not start .try again later and starts no problem. this happens only once and a while like once every few weeks and is a pain in the but thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #29
nobshifter
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobshifter
1996 transport anybody had problems starting your van only once and a while? when turned on there is a relay buy the fuel injector fuse under the hood that clicks , the engine turns over but will not start .try again later and starts no problem. this happens only once and a while like once every few weeks and is a pain in the but thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 AM   #30
LMP
AF Enthusiast

....I'd risk to say most intermittent starting problems have been mostly related with the crank sensor on the pre-1996 3.8. Since the 3.4 also has an electronic "distributor", I'd suspect the same cause may apply.....any codes pulled out?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport