Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Mark VIII
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 06:39 AM   #1
Daylynn
AF Newbie

Talking Need help.... How do I engage the Air Ride Switch???

Hello-

I just bought a 1994 Mark Lincoln VIII for $800.00. The previous owner who sold it to me lost the keys, so instead of getting a lock smith to make the ignition key he broke the ignition switch. Now I have to use a damn screw driver to start the car. When I do start it a light comes on telling me the "AIR RIDE switch is off" how do I turn the switch on? Is it because my ignition switch is broken, and it won't let the air ride engage? I know the cost of new air bags for the air ride are expensive could I just put regular shocks to higher the car up, or is there anything else? Does anyone know of a good website? Any help would be great.
Daylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
ONEBADMK8
Banned

It's in the trunk, drivers side, a panel that swings open to reveal the black rocker switch.
ONEBADMK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Daylynn
AF Newbie

Re: Need help.... How do I engage the Air Ride Switch???

Thanks for the help. I found the switch. Still bad news, I still cant get my air ride to engage. Would you happen to know what fuse to check, I think it might be a bad fuse, or worst case senerio ripped bags. Please help.........
I just bought a 1994 Mark Lincoln VIII for $800.00. The previous owner who sold it to me lost the keys, so instead of getting a lock smith to make the ignition key he broke the ignition switch. Now I have to use a damn screw driver to start the car. When I do start it a light comes on telling me the "AIR RIDE switch is off" how do I turn the switch on? Is it because my ignition switch is broken, and it won't let the air ride engage? I know the cost of new air bags for the air ride are expensive could I just put regular shocks to higher the car up, or is there anything else? Does anyone know of a good website? Any help would be great.[/quote]
Daylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

If you havn't already, try these guys too:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/cgi-bi...?ubb=forum&f=1
Old 10-12-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
ONEBADMK8
Banned

The air bags are NOT expensive at all, this is the biggest misconception about these cars. The entire a/r system is barely $1200.00 to replace.
Its not your bags anyway.
The switch is in the trunk, thats what you have to turn on.

Also visit http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com
ONEBADMK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
Matthew_14
AF Regular

The fuse that you need to check for your air suspension is the "A" fuse which is located in the driver side kick panel. There are conversion kits on the market that are available that are considerably cheaper than the air suspension parts. If you need any more help with either trouble shooting instructions or help with finding quality vendors just PM and I will be glad to help you out as much as I can.
Matthew_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

If you want another option then air bags you can do an entire coil-over/ spring conversion. I did it on mine and personally I like it better. Many with disagree with me that coil-over conversion is a horrible way to go but I need the dependability of it and that they work every time you drive the car. Yes air bags might have a softer ride some will say and that you can lower the car with some adjusting of the valves. But as a everyday car that I need running I just went for the conversion. No more comressor noise, no lights flashing and anoying beeeeeep noises telling me my air ride isnt working. www.strumasters.com has an entire conversion kit for under 500$. Also they give you directions how to install them and they are very easy if you have the correct tools.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
Matthew_14
AF Regular

Antiburn you are exactly right. I dont't think that I could say it better myself.
Matthew_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
paul_meets_mark
AF Newbie

I would also agree, but dont go with strutmasters ...check out www.americanairsuspension.com ...i bought their kit, and i installed it myself in less than a day, it was 460 altogether and very simple. IMO
paul_meets_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
ibgrape
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Need help.... How do I engage the Air Ride Switch???

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_meets_mark
I would also agree, but dont go with strutmasters ...check out www.americanairsuspension.com ...i bought their kit, and i installed it myself in less than a day, it was 460 altogether and very simple. IMO
I have been constantly working on my air ride for 4 months and spent $400 on the front struts. I am considering the conversion kit if anything else happens like the compressor or rear bags. I haven't talked to anyone that has accually did the conversion to see if the ride was noticeably different. Could you tell a difference in the ride or handling and if so how much difference?

Thanks for any input.
ibgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
smplyred
AF Newbie

Okay, I'm such a girl. What exactly is the Air Ride system? I got a Mark VIII through a program that helps single moms where I make small payments for one year and they turn over full ownership. When they gave it to me, the mechanic told me they had to disconnect the Air Ride System and not to worry about the flashing message. What exactly is it? Just curious. I love the car and I don't really care for the work their mechanic has done on it so far (like changing my oil...no oil leaks prior..major oil leak after). A lot of info here so I'm trying to soak up info on the car like a sponge right now. I don't think I'll have them working on it anymore for me - they are shoddy at best.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Mark VIII