Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Mark VIII
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
wmatthe2
AF Newbie

Thinking about a used, 95, Mark VIII, but...

I was not looking for, but found a 95 Mark VIII w/94k miles. Haven't had it to my mechanic yet, but was thumbing through a ConsumerReport guide that said "cars not to buy"... A mechanical friend of mine said the "air suspensions" are a big problem if something goes wrong, thousands to fix... Is that true? I saw on this site an add for air suspension conversion kits - do they work? Any advice out there? The car I saw is < $4k... I'm tempted...
wmatthe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 PM   #2
ONEBADMK8
Banned

Re: Thinking about a used, 95, Mark VIII, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmatthe2
I was not looking for, but found a 95 Mark VIII w/94k miles. Haven't had it to my mechanic yet, but was thumbing through a ConsumerReport guide that said "cars not to buy"... A mechanical friend of mine said the "air suspensions" are a big problem if something goes wrong, thousands to fix... Is that true? I saw on this site an add for air suspension conversion kits - do they work? Any advice out there? The car I saw is < $4k... I'm tempted...

The entire a/r system on a Mark VIII is around $1300.00?
ONEBADMK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #3
fitzycent
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fitzycent

I had the kit put on to my car and all its like a Mecury Cougar suspension. I bought mine on ebay for 425.00 and paid someone 100.00 to put on. I haven't had any problems with it. It doesn't ride as smooth as most cars would but it rides the same as it would with the air ride. I recomend getting the kit if you do get it because them air ride are pieces of crap. I Love my Mark VIII
fitzycent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
ONEBADMK8
Banned

I own Lincolnmotorsport and I have owned 9 Mark VIII's so far and I absolutely Love the air ride system, when you have the rest of the suspension correct with the proper air ride height settings and poly urethane bushings you wouldn't believe you were driving the same car.

Plus you have the ability to slam the car, ride at full height or in the middle, having versatility like that is priceless.

The air ride in this car is actually very relieable and works very well.
ONEBADMK8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

The Mark 8 system is a good one, but that doesn't mean it can't fail.

But because it is on the same platform as the Cougar/Tbird - you can easily and cheaply switch over to those suspension pieces if repair becomes cost prohibitive.

Don't let something silly like a potential repair keep you out of a great car like the Mark 8. I'd have one if they weren't too much money when I was looking - and I settled on the cheap version of it .

2000 LS8 Sport, 1992 XR7 5.0 HO
MercCougarXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
Auror_AH
AF Enthusiast

I really wouldn't let the air suspension on the car scare you away. They are wonderful cars, I've got a 94 and it's a real trooper. These cars can handle a serious amount of beating. I now look for cars with an air suspension. Like with most things if you really poke around searching you can find good deals.

Amanda H
95 Aurora White On Black
94 Mark VIII Black on Black
Auror_AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:32 PM   #7
tupacglock
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tupacglock Send a message via MSN to tupacglock

I picked the Mark VIII as my favorite car for two reasons.
1) Air Ride (Of course I will mod my solenoid so that I control it)
2) 4.6 DOHC with 280HP/285TQ @TC

2.1) I am young and want a "pimp car" that can go fast to put me 1 over on the other "pimp cars" in my school.
tupacglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #8
Simonyadig
AF Newbie

Buy it.
Simonyadig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
car_man58
AF Newbie

Thumbs up air ride

Don't let the air ride stop you...BadMk is right..these cars are awesome !and they are not so bad to repair "when needed" Go to Arnott Industries.com I just replaced both front air strutts and both rear shocks for $525 in parts,including shipping,and did it myself in 1 afternoon with simple tools.all the other parts like air bags and sensors etc..are very reasonable too.Then take it to the alignment shop to be safe on your alignment. My 94' is just one of many testimonys to how good these cars really are.!!! (at $43,000 new sticker,they should be good)180,000 miles on mine..and I drive it 600 miles a week in my line of work...it is just an awesome.dependable car that gets 26 average M.P.G. on the highway with only a K&N and "no" mufflers(sounds great too) I wish they were not getting so popular!!! cuz the prices are starting to go up! You buy a Mark...and you'll "wrap your ass in a lot of class"
Keep it low...Car_man58
car_man58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #10
tupacglock
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tupacglock Send a message via MSN to tupacglock
We can all stop posting in this now. I bought a 1985 Mustang LX with no engine or tranny and bought a JY Long Block 351W. It is being hot tanked and rebored soon.
tupacglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:17 PM   #11
lincoln_mark_8
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to lincoln_mark_8 Send a message via Yahoo to lincoln_mark_8

If it cannot beat 15.1 in the quarter then you made the wrong choice. My 97 pulls that stock and it is not a LSC.
lincoln_mark_8 is offline   Reply With Quote