Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Sp3cops70
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sp3cops70 Send a message via MSN to Sp3cops70 Send a message via Yahoo to Sp3cops70
Question Fuel Pressure Regulator or Sensor

OK. i have a 2005 Ford Explorer 4.0 4x4. Symptoms are it is turning off on its own. I turn it on and at any given time/day it will turn on just fine and drive just fine. other days i turn it on and it will misfire or seems to be trying to turn off like if it doesnt have any gas or running out of gas. then it turns off. sometimes it turns on right away other times i have to wait a few minutes.

so a mechanic did a diagnostics on the truck and told me it is the fuel pressure regulator and quoted me 179.99. i told him i will be calling around and check prices.

autozone: they say there no fuel pressure regulator showing up on their system. they say it is a fuel pressure sensor. which is for 114.00 with 3 year warranty.

advance autoparts: says they have both a fpr and a fps. fpr is 34.99 and the sensor is 120.99.

oreillys: says no fpr in their system only a sensor which is 130.99.

the mechanic told me to mention to them that it is the fuel pressure that regulates the gas to the injectors on the fuel injector rail.

advanced said it is the 34.99 one fpr. and autozone/oreillys says it is the fps.

very confused.....he has not taken the engine apart to see the part. any ideas? advice? thx.

^^^^CLICK IT!^^^^ ^^^^CLICK IT!^^^^
Sp3cops70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator or Sensor

Does the mechanic's quote of $179.99 include just the part, or part and labor? Will he guarantee that will fix the issue? If parts and labor and he'll stand behind the repair, it seems your best option is to pay him to figure out which part it needs and ensure it fixes it. If you were to buy the $120 part, then find out that doesn't fix it, and that you need the $35 part, you're pretty much up to the $180 quote and had to deal with getting your hands dirty and smelly.

If the $180 quote was just for the part then I can check my 2005 factory service manual later this evening or tomorrow morning to see what it says your truck should have. What is the build date of your Explorer? Maybe there is a difference between early 2005 and late 2005 jobs.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

I'm not sure it's worth anything, but RockAuto does not list a FPR for the 2004-2006 4.0L Explorer.

-Rod
Old 05-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
Sp3cops70
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sp3cops70 Send a message via MSN to Sp3cops70 Send a message via Yahoo to Sp3cops70

Shorod. It is 179.99 for part and 279 for labor. ill check year and post when i get home.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

According to the factory service manual for 2005:
"The vehicle is equipped with electronic multi-port fuel injection that is supplied by an electronic returnless fuel system. The PCM receives pressure information from a fuel pressure sensor mounted on the fuel rail. The PCM is able to maintain constant fuel pressure by varying the FP output. This is accomplished by increasing or decreasing voltage supplied to the FP . The returnless fuel system offers improved economy, lower fuel temperatures and decreased fuel vapor in the fuel tank."

Since it's a returnless system, it will not have a fuel pressure regulator, only a sensor. The sensor provides a signal to the PCM and Fuel Pump Driver Module to either increase or decrease the fuel pump duty cycle to maintain the correct fuel pressure.

According to the service manual, it's a "fuel pressure and temperature sensor."

-Rod
Old 05-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Sp3cops70
AF Regular

Great. Thank you. Thats all i wanted to know. Sad that advanced could not tell me that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
According to the factory service manual for 2005:
"The vehicle is equipped with electronic multi-port fuel injection that is supplied by an electronic returnless fuel system. The PCM receives pressure information from a fuel pressure sensor mounted on the fuel rail. The PCM is able to maintain constant fuel pressure by varying the FP output. This is accomplished by increasing or decreasing voltage supplied to the FP . The returnless fuel system offers improved economy, lower fuel temperatures and decreased fuel vapor in the fuel tank."

Since it's a returnless system, it will not have a fuel pressure regulator, only a sensor. The sensor provides a signal to the PCM and Fuel Pump Driver Module to either increase or decrease the fuel pump duty cycle to maintain the correct fuel pressure.

According to the service manual, it's a "fuel pressure and temperature sensor."

-Rod

Old 06-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Sp3cops70
AF Regular

Ok guys. got it fixed. It was the fuel pressure sensor. everything is working fine now. thanks for all the help!

Old 06-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
shorod
SHO No Mo

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed. Thank you for following up on with what you found the issue to be.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac