Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
trox
AF Regular

99 F250 SD No Brake Lts, Good Turn and Haz

I have a 99 F250 with no brake lights but the turn and Hazards work fine. I have power on the green wire going to the MF switch with pedal depressed. I have continuity thru the switch and out of the lt and rt side pins going back to the lights. I have replaced the MF switch and my replacement would not turn off the wipers once activated until I plugged my old one back in, then the wipers would stop. The replacement still didn't fix my brake light problem though. I was sent another MF switch free of charge and the next one did the same thing with the wipers, and didn't make a difference to the brake lights. These were Dorman switches and they could not explain why the wipers were doing that. I put the old MF switch back in because the pins ring continuity through from the Brake light pin Green wire to both power out brake light pins, (can't remember the colors.) I've jumped straight from the green wire to the left side brake light and still no luck. I'd like to find a connector between the MF switch and tail light to see if I have power there but can't find a good place to do that. With the turn and hazards working, my ground should be good in the back. Is there a ground just for the Brake light up front somewhere? Added info: I discovered my problem when I was hooked up to a trailer and checking my lights. I also noticed my brake controller isn't working for the trailer. I know that needs a signal from the brake switch. This leads me think the problem is under the dash somewhere. I've disconnected the brake controller from the OEM connector under the dash and still no luck.

Last edited by trox; 06-01-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added info
trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
trox
AF Regular

Re: 99 F250 SD No Brake Lts, Good Turn and Haz

Got er dun! It was the brake light switch all along. Even though I was seeing 12 volts at the MF switch from the brake switch, it wasn't a good 12 volts. I found it by using a test light instead of the meter. Don't always trust what the meter is telling you is what this taught me. 1 strand of a 12 strand wire will show continuity and voltage but won't carry a load. Use an old fashioned test light to be sure of good power!
trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Copytech99
AF Regular

Re: 99 F250 SD No Brake Lts, Good Turn and Haz

Yes, you need something to load the circuit a bit (that a DMM will not do)

Glad you got it going.
Copytech99 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series