Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #1
VCS
AF Newbie

95' SSE suddenly stalls

Recently, my 1995 Bonneville SSE randomly will stall. No hesitating, no surging, no rough running, just DIE. This happens while driving, stopped at traffic light, warm / cold, Whenever the mood stikes it!
It always (so far) starts right back up.
So far it has not tripped a code or caused any service lights to stay on.
I've cleaned the battery posts and don't know what else to do.
*************HELP************
VCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 07:30 AM   #2
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re: 95' SSE suddenly stalls

There are some parts that could cause this problem but they are rather expensive to just replace "to see if it will fix it"
Crank sensor,module, PCM or fuel pump could cause this problem along with numerous wiring issues.
Being able to capture data while this happens is useful to eliminate the possibilities.
Intermittant problems like that are extremely difficult to diagnos...if it starts stalling and becomes hard to restart, the window of opportunity has been increased to allow time to see what system is failing.
Sorry no real solid answer on this one..just some ideas
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
Cardiak
AF Newbie

well my 94 bonne did kinda the same thing.. when driving it would just like power off.. and i could turn it back on ez.. it turned out being the throttle position sensor which cost around 50 bucks dunno if its the same case for u.. but when it happened with me i got a Check Engine Light
Cardiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
Brenda S. Safran
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Brenda S. Safran
I have a 95 Bonneville that stalls on deceleration. I've had it in the shop five times since I bought it in July. After $600.00 plus, it is still stalling and sometimes won't start until the next day. It has run up to two weeks without stalling and has stalled sometimes twice in a day. My VIN doesn't match the recall from Dec. 94 so I have no more answers.
Brenda S. Safran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
fritcr
AF Regular

Stalling bonnie

I don't know if this will help but I just sold my 94 and it had the same problem decribed for your 95. I did everything...replaced EVERYTHING anyone could think of. Dealer...3 times...local mechanic so many times I lost count. Finally just left it there for over a week because my wife refused to drive it till it was fixed. Never triped a code...always started right back up. After probably around $2000 I fixed it myself. It was the Fuel Pump RELAY. I had put a new gas tank on...new fuel pump. Coil paks, module. All sensors..crank, cam, TPS, everything. 3 ECM's...anyway...a $4 Fuel pump relay fixed it. Just CHEAP place to start anyway. You just never know.
My wife just bought a 97...see post about surging :-( This is our 5th Bonneville. I hope this one is not alot of trouble.
I have some good parts that I bought for my 94 in the garage if anyone needs them I would sell them cheap. I know for sure I have all 3 coil packs and the module that goes under them.
Rob

2001 Suburban
97 Bonneville
96 Monte Carlo
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #6
jerrykoziol
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS
Recently, my 1995 Bonneville SSE randomly will stall. No hesitating, no surging, no rough running, just DIE. This happens while driving, stopped at traffic light, warm / cold, Whenever the mood stikes it!
It always (so far) starts right back up.
So far it has not tripped a code or caused any service lights to stay on.
I've cleaned the battery posts and don't know what else to do.
*************HELP************
FOR ALL OF YOU WITH THE STALLING PROBLEM FOR THE 95 SSE...I OWN THE CAR AND HAD THE SAME PROBLEM...IT IS THE CRANK SENSOR...TAKE MY WORD FOR IT
Close Current Tag

Close All Tags
Normal Mode Enhanced Mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS
Recently, my 1995 Bonneville SSE randomly will stall. No hesitating, no surging, no rough running, just DIE. This happens while driving, stopped at traffic light, warm / cold, Whenever the mood stikes it! It always (so far) starts right back up. So far it has not tripped a code or caused any service lights to stay on. I've cleaned the battery posts and don't know what else to do. *************HELP************
CRANK SENSOR
jerrykoziol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #7
jerrykoziol
AF Newbie

All Of You With The 95 Sse...i Also Own The Car And Had The Same Symptoms
/////the Problem Is The <<<crank Sensor>>>>
Take My Word For It...i Had The Same Problem For Over A year With No Luck
jerrykoziol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:50 PM   #8
fritcr
AF Regular

Mine wasn't the crank sensor.

Mine wasn't the crank sensor. It was the fuel pump relay.
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:30 PM   #9
VCS
AF Newbie

I've replaced the Fuel Pump Relay (last week), it didn't help, but for $5.00 it was a good try.
Now the car is also giving me some occasional problems starting. It will eventually start, it just likes to fight me.
VCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 06:42 AM   #10
bridget36907
AF Regular

I agree..the crank sensor....I tried so amny things before this only to find out that that's what it is..the part is only 25 bux and if you are mechanical you can do it...

1995 Chevy Caprice
LT1 5.7

1986 Dodge Ram
bridget36907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:17 AM   #11
TaiN
AF Newbie

Ok two things and I hope you guys won't hate me. First I hate to do this to an older thread, second I have a 94 Lumina APV BUT it has the 3800 just like bonnies. My speedo cut out and then wham it dies doing 70mph. Only wierd thing is I had the alternator tested 2 times and they both said it's only putting out 50 amps. Then I had 2 different alternators put in and they both do the same thing. Only putting out 50 amps. What could be drawing that much current and not popping a fuse?
TaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
MPCReRuN
AF Newbie

I am aware that this response comes about 9 years after the original post, but since the poster didn't state what fixed the problem, I figured I would offer some info. My car would just shut off as if you turned it off by the key. This would happen at ANY time (i.e going 70 miles an hour on the interstate, or just driving at 35 mph down a road, or sitting at a traffic light). Sometimes it would fire right back up, other times it would not.

As previously posted by someone, there are a lot of things that could cause this, however, when it happened to me, I went through the gauntlet of replacing parts. Here is the list:
first I replaced the crankshaft position sensor (mainly because at the time my harmonic balancer went bad and needed replacing, and since the CPS is behind it and it is a pain to get the harmonic balancer off, I figured I should replace the $30 CPS while I was there.)
That did not fix the stalling.
Second, I looked all through the car for bad grounds, etc. Nothing there.
Third, I replaced all three coils and the ECM(computer). I did this because at first I thought the ICM(Ignition Control Module) was probably bad, so I had the ICM (Ignition Control Module) tested and it passed.
So far, the cost at this point was $119 for the harmonic balancer (not part of the issue here, but still a cost), $100 for ECM, $98 for all three coils. None of which stopped the car from stalling. So, because I was at wits end, I finally broke down and replaced the Ignition Control Module anyway(Remember, this is the ONE part that tested good previously). It was $150 at auto Zone and took all of 15 minutes for me to replace myself. BINGO! No problems since.

Here is the thing. There are a lot of problems that can cause a stalling bonnie. From my own experience and those of many others on the net that I have seen, the most COMMON cause is a bad ICM. Drop the $150 bucks and replace it first. Why? Well, because first of all, it is going to go bad eventually. these cars run hotter than most and heat is what kills the ICM. Plus, it will most likely fix your stalling issue. If nothing else, it will improve gas consumption. I hope this helps someone out.
Cheers.
MPCReRuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Sorry.......I disagree....the ICM is not the most common cause of a stall, in a 3.8......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
rkvons
AF Enthusiast

Before replacing the ICM, check all the connections to it. I had a stalling issue and started tugging and pulling on the wires that connect to the ICM and I got it to stall. It turned out to be a bad CPS connector.
rkvons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
maxwedge
A990 racer

Thumbs up Re: 95' SSE suddenly stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Sorry.......I disagree....the ICM is not the most common cause of a stall, in a 3.8......
Agreed, maybe the cps or even a stuck egr causing low speed stalls.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Bonneville