Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

clutch bleeding or something else?

My clutch resevior in my 85 300zx turbo 5 speed ran dry. I filled it up only to see the clutch pedal is still at the floor and doesn't come back up. I was told I just needed to bleed the clutch. I figured it was like bleeding brakes so I went to the pep boys to get a bleeder kit and told them what I was trying to do and my problem but they say I would need to bleed the master cylinder which involves some vacuuming and a bunch of other stuff that they said was "tricky". What do you think is the problem?
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: clutch bleeding or something else?

You need to start by determining why the cylinder went try. If you've got a leak, you need to fix that before bleeding. If you don't have a leak, then you need to replace the clutch.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
You need to start by determining why the cylinder went try. If you've got a leak, you need to fix that before bleeding. If you don't have a leak, then you need to replace the clutch.

-Rod
If the clutch is bad, I don't see how the resevoir would leak. It is possible, but not a good idea, but the car does not need the clutch pedal depressed when starting. As bad of an idea as it was, when I first had this issue, I started the car in first gear without using the clutch and the car drove around the corner to my house.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Since the clutch is hydraulic, it has a piston somewhere that presses on the clutch fork. If there is no leak, that would suggest the piston is extended and the fluid is taking up the slack in the slave cylinder which means something is worn out. This is similar to what happens to cause a low fluid level in a brake master cylinder due to worn pads/shoes.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Since the clutch is hydraulic, it has a piston somewhere that presses on the clutch fork. If there is no leak, that would suggest the piston is extended and the fluid is taking up the slack in the slave cylinder which means something is worn out. This is similar to what happens to cause a low fluid level in a brake master cylinder due to worn pads/shoes.

-Rod
Can the car still operate without the clutch?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoKillz View Post
Can the car still operate without the clutch?
It'll be OK to get it home but I wouldnt be drivin it around esp. in traffic. If you're good you can shift it w/ RPM's but it would be rough on the synchros.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaP View Post
It'll be OK to get it home but I wouldnt be drivin it around esp. in traffic. If you're good you can shift it w/ RPM's but it would be rough on the synchros.
My expierence with clutches the car either slipped or was not driveable at all. Never knew it was possible to drive with a flat dead clutch.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoKillz View Post
My expierence with clutches the car either slipped or was not driveable at all. Never knew it was possible to drive with a flat dead clutch.
If the master cylinder ran dry then you have a leak. No where for that fluid to go but out. You said you drove it home in 1st gear so the problem is the clutch wont release. Can you pull the pedal back up by hand? The slave cylinder has a bleeder valve so it should bleed by gravity. No special tools needed to bleed. They sell rebuild kits for the master and slave cyls. They even sell the hose. Simple, single piston cylinders and as long as the bores aren't pitted you should be OK.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)