Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Natael
AF Newbie

Exclamation 1978 Fuel Injection Convertible Won't Stay Running!!!

Hi, I have a problem, I bought this 1978 fuel injection convertible bug and it ran just fine, well after I got it home I drove it one more time, afterwards I started her up again but as soon as it does start up it stalls, it seams as if something is cutting the gas. I have the gas tank half full, the batter is fully charged and it gets good spark. This happens ever time I try to run her again. Is there a particular part of the fuel injection system that I need to check out?
Natael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
kelwa1
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kelwa1
Re: 1978 Fuel Injection Convertible Won't Stay Running!!!

Check and clean ALL of the electrical connections in your engine compartment. The F.I.'s engine wiring is notorious for the connections loosening up or getting dirty and providing intermittent electrical contact.
kelwa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Natael
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: 1978 Fuel Injection Convertible Won't Stay Running!!!

Thanks!!! we tested the fuel pump and it looks like you were right, the electronics is what the problem is. We took the fuel pump off and then connected the hoses up without the pump and sense we put the car up on some ramps the car started and ran until all the gas had flown out of the hoses, so we tested the pump to see if it was good and it is!!!! So the electric isn't getting to the pump some how. I need help again!!!!! Is there anything I should check out with the wires? I can’t find a fuse or anything connecting to those certain wires, so I’m at a total loss. HELP!!!!
Natael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

You may need to buy a shop manual that covers the car. I assure you there is a fuel pump relay - but I cant recall where it would be. As the previous poster said, those wiring harnessess did not have the most reliable connections......and were a nuisance when I worked on them more than 20 years ago. Also the wires can get corroded inside the insulation, any place that insulation has been abraded or worn through.
One solution would be to find the fuel pump relay, and run new wiring from there back to the fuel pump. On a VW slantback I had, I installed a toggle switch to turn the fuel pump on.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
kick3
AF Newbie

natael,
You need to get the Bentley manual for bugs. It has all the test info you need for the Fi and troubleshooting. The double relay which controls the FI is in the area behind back seat (luggage area) passenger side. It is prolly the culprit. It gets wet from water even tho it is inside. Can you hear fuel pump running?it gets it signal from the starter cranking over.Also ck boot that geos to air horn for cracks. Hope this helps
kick3
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
frisco
AF Newbie

Hi just had similar problem,wasted 2 weeks,and ordered things I did not need.check mass air flow sensor,remove air filter,use screw drive ,insert it the opening and push on the flapper ,it may be stuck.if it does'ent move nothing works.this worked for me,started right up and runs fine.hope this helps.the info is it the repair manual about 7 pages into fuel injection problem section 11
frisco is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1