Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Rebuilding a 2003 4.7 L

About a month ago, my truck's rad gave out on me and engine overheated pretty good while I got it off the road and parked. It had been a service truck before I got it from my boss and I know of at least one instance when it had gotten pretty hot then as well, so much so that it had a small head gasket leak and had been burning thru coolant until I put a can of that stop leak in it.

This overheat put it over the top though, and she makes quite the racket now especially anything over 2K RPMs, so its been back streets for every where I go lately. I have been in touch with local wreckers and online for used engines to swap out, but nothing much out there that would make it worth the expense due to high Km's and price. Apparently the 2003 4.7's are a bit of a rare bird or something.

So now I am pondering whether or not to tackle a complete rebuild of this engine myself. I have never done any kind of thing like this before, but I am an apprentice (long in the tooth one mind you..decided to shift careers in my late 40's...lol). Been working on vehicles all my life though, so only thing I'm really learning these days is diagnostics via DTC's etc and all the computerized systems. There is a spare bay at my shop where I could do this work, which I imagine is disassembling the engine, and getting the various items machined (heads, cylinders etc) and getting all new rings and seals etc.

Putting the question out there to others who have gone this route..is it worth doing? Any pitfalls to look out for? I am hoping it will work out, since I can't afford to buy a new truck in the near future..lol.

I will be scouring the net for info and vids on rebuilding this engine, but if anybody has any links to help out in my quest for info, it would be appreciated!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10