Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
rene8603
AF Newbie

1995 3000GT Turbo manual transmission problem

Just bought a 1995 3000GT Turbo with manual transmission for our son. The gears are grinding between 1st and 2nd and even more so between 2nd and 3rd. This is especially acute when the car is not warmed up. The car is very driveable and the engine otherwise runs smoothly, but care must be taken when shifting.

Took it to a Mitsubishi dealer ("Diamond Award" dealer if anyone finds that relevant). They confirmed the grind, but didn't specify the severity of the problem. They said the ONLY option we have is to completely replace the transmission because there are no parts made or sold for it -- something about it being built in Germany and we have to buy the whole thing as a single unit. Said as long we are doing that we should just go ahead and also replace the transfer case, clutch disc, pressure plate, T/O bearing and flywheel (didn't say there were problems with these things just that it would make sense). All of that comes to $8800. Can anyone advise if there is a viable, far less expensive option? We are in shock. Related to this: in searching this forum, I saw some posts about a GM transmission oil that greatly reduces gear grinding. True? Any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for your help.
rene8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
dbcustoms
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 3000GT Turbo manual transmission problem

i am an owner of one of these beasts myself. theres no question your going to need a rebuild probably just syncros. that being said it is true that there is not very many parts available for our transmissions anymore. however there is a company I'm going to let you know about it is by far the cheapest route for us. Komex Trans Parts out of CA. http://www.kormextrans.com give them a call. what they do is send you a rebuilt trans for around $1500 you send them you old trans back as a core charge they will then rebuild your trans and sell it to someone else. this is the only place and i really mean the only place that can get parts to do this for us. they are keeping our beasts on the road. by the way i think shipping is about 300 round trip so really not bad considering the only other options. and it would be a real shame to see these cars die just because they stopped making our trans parts. the 3000GT VR4 is one of the most beautiful and advanced cars of its time and all the way to present lol sorry i really love these cars lol hope that info helps you some.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Check out Jack's Transmissions.

He offers rebuilds and parts for the Getrag.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Girly VR-4
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene8603 View Post
Just bought a 1995 3000GT Turbo with manual transmission for our son. The gears are grinding between 1st and 2nd and even more so between 2nd and 3rd. This is especially acute when the car is not warmed up. The car is very driveable and the engine otherwise runs smoothly, but care must be taken when shifting.

Took it to a Mitsubishi dealer ("Diamond Award" dealer if anyone finds that relevant). They confirmed the grind, but didn't specify the severity of the problem. They said the ONLY option we have is to completely replace the transmission because there are no parts made or sold for it -- something about it being built in Germany and we have to buy the whole thing as a single unit. Said as long we are doing that we should just go ahead and also replace the transfer case, clutch disc, pressure plate, T/O bearing and flywheel (didn't say there were problems with these things just that it would make sense). All of that comes to $8800. Can anyone advise if there is a viable, far less expensive option? We are in shock. Related to this: in searching this forum, I saw some posts about a GM transmission oil that greatly reduces gear grinding. True? Any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I assume you have a VR-4?

My boyfriend owns a shop that specializes in the 3/S. He can rebuild it for you.

You're welcome to bring the car to his shop (if you don't mind the drive to PA) and he can rebuild your current transmission with brand new parts for $2700. That also includes a 3 month warranty on all replaced internal parts (synchronizers, gears, etc). If you wanted to just ship/send him the transmission and have it pulled/reinstalled back home, the rebuild itself is $2200 (includes a 3 month warranty on replaced parts).

You're welcome to PM me if you'd like.

As far as recommended gear oil, we ALWAYS use Pennzoil Synchromesh (I believe it's the equivalent to GM synchromesh, but don't quote me on it) in our personal cars, and our customer cars. You can get it at any Autozone or Advance Auto.

-Emilie
1996 Orchid Pearl Stealth R/T.... daily driver duty, 275k+ miles and counting!
1995 3000GT Spyder SL... being modified...

Girly VR-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girly VR-4 View Post
I assume you have a VR-4?

My boyfriend owns a shop that specializes in the 3/S. He can rebuild it for you.

You're welcome to bring the car to his shop (if you don't mind the drive to PA) and he can rebuild your current transmission with brand new parts for $2700. That also includes a 3 month warranty on all replaced internal parts (synchronizers, gears, etc). If you wanted to just ship/send him the transmission and have it pulled/reinstalled back home, the rebuild itself is $2200 (includes a 3 month warranty on replaced parts).

You're welcome to PM me if you'd like.

As far as recommended gear oil, we ALWAYS use Pennzoil Synchromesh (I believe it's the equivalent to GM synchromesh, but don't quote me on it) in our personal cars, and our customer cars. You can get it at any Autozone or Advance Auto.

-Emilie
I might be calling Hans for a rebuild sometime soon. I located a blown diff trans that should give me the parts I need to fix my blown 2nd gear/LSD trans.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Girly VR-4
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
I might be calling Hans for a rebuild sometime soon. I located a blown diff trans that should give me the parts I need to fix my blown 2nd gear/LSD trans.
awesomeness just let him or I know when you want to swing by

Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #7
rene8603
AF Newbie

Thanks to everyone for your good advice. My son has researched this and believes that we can simply replace the synchros. There was a post about this by Igovert500 on this forum as well. Opinions?

To answer Girly VR-4's question, yes, the car is a VR-4. 65,000 miles.

Much appreciated.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
Girly VR-4
AF Regular

it could be synchros, and/or gears, shaft, etc.

A rebuild is not really something you can do at home/not something I would recommend doing at home by yourself. My guess is you do not have the proper tools and know-how.

Have it sent to someone who can rebuild it (us, Jacks, etc) or buy a good replacement.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
rene8603
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girly VR-4 View Post
it could be synchros, and/or gears, shaft, etc.

A rebuild is not really something you can do at home/not something I would recommend doing at home by yourself. My guess is you do not have the proper tools and know-how.

Have it sent to someone who can rebuild it (us, Jacks, etc) or buy a good replacement.
Totally agree - no plan to do this ourselves.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
3000gt , oil , problem , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth