Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Scénic/Scénic RX4
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
bri k
AF Newbie

renault megane starting problems

My sister owns a 2000 1.4 16v renault megane scenic which will not start intermitently. First thing in the morning the engine turns over but will not fire, she says the problem is more noticeable after the car has been stood for a while. I have looked at it this morning but as i had no torx bits in my tool kit i could not remove the coil pack / HT lead to assertain if there was a spark or not. Lone behold the first time i tried to start it it fired straight away. I appreciate the i am only offering limited information but are there any common faults with this car that would give this problem?????? Thanks for your help
bri k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
JonesyT
AF Newbie

Re: renault megane starting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri k
My sister owns a 2000 1.4 16v renault megane scenic which will not start intermitently. First thing in the morning the engine turns over but will not fire, she says the problem is more noticeable after the car has been stood for a while. I have looked at it this morning but as i had no torx bits in my tool kit i could not remove the coil pack / HT lead to assertain if there was a spark or not. Lone behold the first time i tried to start it it fired straight away. I appreciate the i am only offering limited information but are there any common faults with this car that would give this problem?????? Thanks for your help
I have had starting problems also , the engines kicks over fine just wont fire , turned out to be a bad connection on the TDC sensor , this connector is sitting on the top of the water pump ?? right on top of the engine ,purple and black wire , I just jiggle this connector and it works every time .. I have heard lots of stories about poor electrical connections on this model

A week later :; same thing again, engine turns over ,but all the connections seem ok , so the TDC sensor stuff above is rubbish !!! reseated the engine fuse- box fuses , no joy , pulled the two large relays in engine fuse box, put them back ,,bingo , starts OK ..Im suspecting either of these relays , one of them is the fuel injection relay , I will replace these next week , could be sticking/burnt out.............

A week later .... no more starting problems : must have been the FUEL INJECTION RELAY ,Renault say "they never give problems" so it must have just been a bad seating/connection , which is OK now ???

Last edited by JonesyT; 09-17-2005 at 03:50 PM. Reason: more info'
JonesyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
jameswburke
AF Newbie

Re: renault megane starting problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesyT View Post
I have had starting problems also , the engines kicks over fine just wont fire , turned out to be a bad connection on the TDC sensor , this connector is sitting on the top of the water pump ?? right on top of the engine ,purple and black wire , I just jiggle this connector and it works every time .. I have heard lots of stories about poor electrical connections on this model

A week later :; same thing again, engine turns over ,but all the connections seem ok , so the TDC sensor stuff above is rubbish !!! reseated the engine fuse- box fuses , no joy , pulled the two large relays in engine fuse box, put them back ,,bingo , starts OK ..Im suspecting either of these relays , one of them is the fuel injection relay , I will replace these next week , could be sticking/burnt out.............

A week later .... no more starting problems : must have been the FUEL INJECTION RELAY ,Renault say "they never give problems" so it must have just been a bad seating/connection , which is OK now ???

We've had endless starting problems with our 2001 1.4 Scenic. It turns over but doesn't 'catch'. A mechanic we know advised push starting or, if the battery has enough life in it, start up in first gear. It seems to work. Damn French cars. Too many sensors in them...
jameswburke is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Scénic/Scénic RX4