Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
jorlebar17
AF Newbie

2004 LS - Eratic HVAC Performance - Code 1947

My daughter's 2004 Lincoln V6 LS, Climate Control with Heated Seats

Did this repair this week. I found the information here to be disjointed so I thought I would summarize my work for the next person who is frustrated by their LS's HVAC system.

Obtain the trouble shooting codes from the HVAC unit.

PRESS "OFF" AND "DEF" followed by "AUTO"

My resultant code was 1947 indicating an Evaporator Discharge Temperature Sensor failure. There is one on either side of the HVAC plenum which are accessible while laying on your back looking upward under the dash. I am 6'2" and 240 LBS. No fun for a bigger guy!

I guessed at the drivers side as it was behaving the most erratically. I guessed correctly.

Swapped out the sensor. HVAC system works great and error code verified to be gone.

Only the rectangular portion of the sensor is visible. There is a 2" narrow protrusion that extends into the plenum. Be gentle removing it. Pop it loose with the blade of a medium size screw driver and gently rock it back and fourth to remove.

I paid $48.00 Canadian for the replacement sensor at APC.

In addition, the cabin ambient temperature sensor is located above the ignition switch in the dash behind a integrated grill. After reading here that it was a good idea to clean it, and an inspection revealed a lot of accumulated dust, I carefully blew it off with compressed air. I would presume a clean temperature sensor would help ensure the system performs at optimum.

Good luck with your LS. Fussy cars for sure!
jorlebar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2004 LS - Eratic HVAC Performance - Code 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlebar17 View Post
Be gentle removing it. Pop it loose with the blade of a medium size screw driver and gently rock it back and fourth to remove.
If I recall correctly, these temp sensors are held in by what I'll call a quarter turn cam system. Once you unplug the wire connector you should only need to turn the sensor 90 degrees counter clockwise and pull it straight out.

You've done this more recently than me so I might be mistaken, but I don't recall needing to use any tools to remove the sensor from the plenum.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
jorlebar17
AF Newbie

Re: 2004 LS - Eratic HVAC Performance - Code 1947

Sorry no, they are not a turn-lock or bayonet-lock. I will describe them simply as a push-lock. However there is a small rectangular “key” that ensures orientation.

Hope that helps.
Jason
jorlebar17 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ