Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
jinx10000
AF Newbie

Brakes pull truck to left

The truck is a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 l engine.

Pressing the brake sharply on the truck causes it to pull sharply to the left. I looked at the front brakes and they seem to be in pretty good shape. Would the back brakes cause this problem?

I had an old Camaro that had a collapsed line that caused that same issue. Are these dodge trucks prone to that failure?

Any other ideas for testing before I spend alot of time and money on this?
jinx10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
angus10
AF Regular

Re: Brakes pull truck to left

Make sure the left caliper is sliding freely on the pins.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
angus10
AF Regular

And also make sure the axle seal on the right side isn't leaking and getting all over the back of the rotor and on the pad. And btw you should check the right caliper also and make sure it is sliding freely .
Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

Were the rims hot if you touched them?It could be frozen up calipers(the pistons) or bad brake hoses.Brake hoses break up in the inside.A tip,do not use the new washers that come with new calipers and hoses,they don't seal up and leak.Reuse the old ones which seal up better.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Question Re: Brakes pull truck to left

if not the caliper your rubber brake may be colaped inside.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
jinx10000
AF Newbie

scrapper1 and wafrederick

The rims were warm, but not hot after about 1 mile drive. Do you mean the rubber brake line, and if so which side would cause it to pull to the left?

Angus 10

This is what I did from your advice. I took the tires off both the left and right side of the car and squeezed the brake pads with a c-clamp. The caliper seemed to move freely back and forth after squeezing the brake pads. I believe the previous owner did something with the left side axle because there was a little grease on that side. I wiped it off, put the tires back on and pumped the brakes until they were solid. Then I drove it down the road.

It still pulls hard to the left and then it feels like the right side catches up and it equalizes. However, that could be imagination.

I looked at the axle and there was no new grease.

Any further ideas?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx10000
scrapper1

Do you mean the rubber brake line, and if so which side would cause it to pull to the left?

Angus 10

This is what I did from your advice. I took the tires off both the left and right side of the car and squeezed the brake pads with a c-clamp. The caliper seemed to move freely back and forth after squeezing the brake pads. I believe the previous owner did something with the left side axle because there was a little grease on that side. I wiped it off, put the tires back on and pumped the brakes until they were solid. Then I drove it down the road.

It still pulls hard to the left and then it feels like the right side catches up and it equalizes. However, that could be imagination.

I looked at the axle and there was no new grease.

Any further ideas?
it would be the one side that it pulls...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
jinx10000
AF Newbie

I will change the brake line tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everybody.

How can I tell if the brakes are anti-lock and is there anything you have to do to bleed an anti-lock system? Seems like I've heard something about it before.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
wafrederick
Banned

One way to tell if it has ABS,look on the front axles for a tone ring.The brake caliper is the same as a 1988 to 1998 Chevy/GMC caliper.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #10
angus10
AF Regular

I doubt you have front ABS, just rear in a 97. Easiest way to tell is if you have a wire going into the back of the hub bearing.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
wafrederick
Banned

If it has ABS in the front,wheel speed sensors will not be in the wheel bearing and I have seen this except the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.There is a tone ring on the front axles and a speed sensor bolted in the spindle.I know it is this way,I have done a lot of these.The calipers off a 1988 to 1998 Chevy/GMC fullsize pickup will fit too like I mentioned,look the same and bolt up.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Actually, if the truck is pulling to the left, then you should look to the RIGHT caliper to see if it is sticking. If compressing the caliper piston cup into the body is difficult compared to the left, then the cup is sticking.

Sticking sliding pins will usually result in uneven wear between the inner and outer pads. A sticking piston will show up as the vehicle pulling to the opposite side and uneven wear of the pads front to back as the piston becomes cockeyed in the bore.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
angus10
AF Regular

Sorry but! If it has front ABS which I highly doubt, the sensor IS in the hub/bearing assembly. It's not a chevy!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
jinx10000
AF Newbie

I changed both the driver side rubber brake hose and the passenger side caliper. Neither of these fixed the problem. Still pulls pretty hard to driver side.

I bled the brakes after I changed the hose and then I bled the brakes again after I changed the caliper. I noticed the following. The pressure that came out of the driver side was 10 times as strong as the passenger side. When I pressed the brake the driver side would spray the wheel well. The passenger side would come about 6 inches out of the caliper. Bled it at least twenty times on the passenger side with no better luck.

I then noticed when I went to fill the brake fluid that it seemed brake fluid was squishing out of the rubber gasket between the master cylinder and the brake fluid tub. It was the gasket for the small tub towards the front of the vehicle. Of course it could have been brake fluid that had spilled over the edge squishing out, but it looked like it might be a leak.

My wife said that when I pulled the brake fluid tub towards the drivers side and she pressed the brake it seemed to be stiffer. Could have been her imagination.

Does it sound like I need a new master cylinder? If not, what else would cause lower fluid pressure on the passenger side brake fluid than the drivers side? What is the difference between the small tub and the large tub on the master cylinder?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
Scrapper
AF Premium User

yes it would come out of master cynlder becaus you probaly never loosened the bleeders on cal or shoes when you bled them. ok next thing trace the whole brake line from front to rear for a dent in the line. the only other thing i think of right now is ppv...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10