Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

You might want to pull your motor appart and inspect...

Being anal and detail oriented I decided to take the upper manifold off and really learn the systems on the 5.0. If anything goes amiss at the track I want to know the motor as well as I know my LS6.

I pulled the upper manifold and valve covers... I took the time to inspect all the wiring and re-wraped where needed, I also replaced some of the dry rotted vaccum caps under the manifold and deleted some un needed lines. Also, cleaned up the PCV system.

This allowed me better access to inspect everything and I found a few missing header bolts... will grab some of those... my header bolts aren't normal bolts, they're allen headed which is odd.

I don't have any pics w/ the VCs off, but my rockers look new... no buildup at all... my mustang buddy showed me some his from a blown up motor and they were nasty... he said mine look new.

I'm going to paint the manifold and VCs black and do a breather setup... I'll post up some pics.

Also ordered an proper EGR delete plate for the EGR block so I could remove the big sensor that just sits there unhooked.

I'll post more pics when I get the chance.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Gatorac
AF Regular

Re: You might want to pull your motor appart and inspect...

The center hole in the manifold is the exhaust channel to the egr. You can tap the upper intake and put a pipe plug in it. That will keep the hot exhaust gasses out of the upper intake.

Jim Pomroy

96 Miata track car.
2012 Camaro SS.
Backdraft Racing Cobra #930
92 Miata "LemonDrop"
Saturn V Rocket Miata Crapcan #81
99 Miata daily driver.
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

^ Yep.... but plugging it at the TB works too. Think of a straw... if you put your finger on one end and blow you can't... the EGR works this way too. With the ports on the TB capped only a minimal amount of gas will get there and the heat transfer should be negligible... at least that's what all the guys on the mustang forums are telling me.

They said plugging the lower intake may make you feel better, but it won't do anything different. Plus, I allready ordered the TB plate for $15.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

A few more pics:

Replacing the PCV valve w/ a fresh one, this mesh screen "plug" is removed w/ a small screw driver or better yet a pick. Clean it off as it can get gummed up.

Clean off the old gasket material... I used carb cleaner on fresh paper towels to get it nice and clean... cover w/ painters tape to prevent any stupid mistakes.

Pulled the valve covers... rocker arms look new... not sure if they are or if the car being run on syn oil has kept it nice like this. My Z06 top end was spotless even after 65k when I cracked it open for the cam swap. My valve covers were hard to get off (even after the bolts were removed) so I think they've never been off. Rocker arm bolts are between 18-23 ft/lbs so I set my wrench at 20 and checked them all, all were tight.

More to follow as I progress. Have to go to Ford for oem valve cover gaskets as they're the best... they're metal/rubber... the aftermarket ones are cork or other stuff that look horrid compared to OEM.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS