Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #46
Squerly
AF Regular

Re: Hello to Panoz GT-RA and Series Car Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Got the car up on stands today and started thoroughly poking around... The frame square tubing fits in the jack stands I have perfectly...
I'm glad to hear this. I jacked mine up for brake inspection, tire rotation, etc... and my original intention was to put it on jack stands but I just couldn't bring myself to put the full weight of the car of that frame. It just didn't look like a good idea to me. I guess it's strong enough but I kept getting images of everyone standing around, shaking their heads and saying..." What's the matter with you man? Surely you didn't think that little square frame was going to hold this entire car up did you? Jeeze... what an idiot..."

Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #47
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

^ Not sure where else you'd put them? I mean where would you put the feet of a lift if you had a 2-post lift? If the largest part of the frame on the car cant support a jack stand I'm not sure I want to be racing in it.

I simply jacked up each side to get the wheels on my boards, then jacked up the right side w/ my low profile racing jack in the center of the car w/ the jack on the outer most frame rail, then put 2 stands under it on the outer rail as far apart as possible. Then I went and jacked up the left side while my buddy watched the rigth side and put 2 stands under.

I haven't checked for any deflection or bending, but I can say the chassis didnt' budge when I was jacking the car from the center.

EDIT: I'll snap a picture of my jackstand arrangement tonight.
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #48
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

EDIT again... you can just see my front left stand behind the rotor in this picture.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #49
Squerly
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Not sure where else you'd put them? I mean where would you put the feet of a lift if you had a 2-post lift? If the largest part of the frame on the car cant support a jack stand I'm not sure I want to be racing in it.
I couldn't agree more, but these are the sort of things that happen to me. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Cool garage.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #50
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

^ Thanks man... I spent a few months end of '05 into '06 re-doing it entirely. Took all the misc BS (yard equip etc.) and put it in my shed out back.

Then I repaired all the drywall and filled all the holes. Fresh coat of Bear ultra premium white, then chair railing and window/door trim painted a custom red. The checkerboard is actually vinyl floor tiles

As always it's a work in progress but it came out nice:

Sorry for the hijack... the Ford powered Panoz has to share the stable w/ a Chevy
Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #51
Gatorac
AF Regular

Look and see if you have a hole in the body right below the doors. That is a jacking point. it's made to slide a piece of pipe into. My car is so low I have a problem getting a jack under the frame without driving up onto some wood.
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #52
Squerly
AF Regular

Insert jack here...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #53
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorac
Look and see if you have a hole in the body right below the doors. That is a jacking point. it's made to slide a piece of pipe into. My car is so low I have a problem getting a jack under the frame without driving up onto some wood.
Same here... I had to have the car up on boards to get my low profile jack under it.

They make these for Porsches and BMWs

Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #54
GTS#25
AF Newbie

I connect it directly to the battery because I didn't know where to find the other 1/2 of this Anderson thingy you are referencing. I have one too but nobody I have talked to knew where to get one. Thanks, it'll make my setup a lot cleaner. [/quote]

I got one from Brandon @ Panoz Parts Dept. -
GTS#25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #55
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS#25
]
I got one from Brandon @ Panoz Parts Dept. -
Awesome... I'll call tomorrow.
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Old 01-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #56
hooked8
AF Newbie

Howdy Gang - we bought 4 GT RA's for our program out here in California, and two of our customers have nabbed cars too - so we're learning along with you...one shrewd move we made was negotiate for extra wheels and tires....Anyone interested in some good 17" BBS wheels? We just scored ADVAN Yokohama as a sponsor, and they want us to move to 18's. Anyone done that? Best size? Also - have a ton of Pirellis for sale cheap - great rain tires, or school tires...Thank GOODNESS for this forum!! You'll hear from us and my main guy who is maintaining the cars...First impressions? Yikes, they're big!! But its an acquired taste...the more we drive them, the more fun we have...they're big puppy dogs with the school setup...we're renting them out and guys have had a blast with them....ok - I'm a novice forum player...how does one post a new thread??!!! Feel like an idiot...
hooked8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #57
Squerly
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked8
Also - have a ton of Pirellis for sale cheap - great rain tires, or school tires...
Do you have any 18" Pirelli rain tires? I know that some of the schools were using street tires to run in the rain, but they weren't actually "rain" tires.

I agree... these cars are BIG! But big fun too!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #58
hooked8
AF Newbie

Oops - should have mentioned - all tires and wheels for sale are 17's...cuz we're moving to 18's...
hooked8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #59
Cobra4B
AF Enthusiast

FYI BBS has these wheels brand new on clearance. They're $620ish shipped, but when we bought a set a month ago they were $570 shipped for 4 brand new BBS RXs.

We're going to run shaved RA-1s on them and keep the pirelli set for heavy rain etc. Once we can make the chassis upgrades we'll move to slicks.

Hope this helps someone
#4 Z06 - NASA ST3/TT3
Old 01-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #60
Gatorac
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked8
Howdy Gang - we bought 4 GT RA's for our program out here in California, and two of our customers have nabbed cars too - so we're learning along with you...one shrewd move we made was negotiate for extra wheels and tires....Anyone interested in some good 17" BBS wheels? We just scored ADVAN Yokohama as a sponsor, and they want us to move to 18's. Anyone done that? Best size? Also - have a ton of Pirellis for sale cheap - great rain tires, or school tires...Thank GOODNESS for this forum!! You'll hear from us and my main guy who is maintaining the cars...First impressions? Yikes, they're big!! But its an acquired taste...the more we drive them, the more fun we have...they're big puppy dogs with the school setup...we're renting them out and guys have had a blast with them....ok - I'm a novice forum player...how does one post a new thread??!!! Feel like an idiot...
How much for a set of 17" wheels (no tires) shipped to 34208 (business address)?

Thanks a pile.

Jim Pomroy

96 Miata track car.
2012 Camaro SS.
Backdraft Racing Cobra #930
92 Miata "LemonDrop"
Saturn V Rocket Miata Crapcan #81
99 Miata daily driver.
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS