Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
89bmw325ikid
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 89bmw325ikid
new owner, have electrical issues, please help

hey, i finally picked up my new bimmer and im going through the issues i knew it had and i need some help. for reference, its a 1989 325i 2 door w/ 2.5l.

heres the list, any help is greatly appreciated:

1.)fuel pump turns on with lights. im going to check the wiring to both systems and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

2.)fuse #10 has a wire wrapped around one of the blades and the fuel pump wont run without it on there.

3.)the fuel pump runs consistently before i start it up, is this wrong?

4.)tach/mpg/gas/temp guage inop. but the speedo works and the low fuel light still comes on anything to do with k7 relay or the SI board?

5.)brake lights come on with the headlights,stay on and donot do anything when the brake pedal is depressed.

6.)blinkers and hazards dont work but the light in the hazard button turns on

7.)fuse # 6 was blown, its a 15 amp fuse. what does this control?

8.) power windows sometimes work and sometimes they dont. does this have anything to do with the k5 relay?

i would like to put this on the road asap and i need most of this stuff to pass inspection. please help. thanks....Nick
89bmw325ikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
89bmw325ikid
AF Newbie

Re: new owner, have electrical issues, please help

yea so i just got done going over all the fuses and this is what i found:

#4 was a 20 instead of a 15
#5 was a 20 instead of 30
#6 was a 15 and blown instead of a 7.5
#10 was a 30 instead of 7.5
#12 was a 20 instead of a 7.5
#16 was a 30 instead of 15
#18 was a 20 instead of 30
#21 was 30 instead of 7.5
#22 was a 30 instead of 7.5
#23 was a 20 instead of a 7.5

could these be causing some of my problems?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
reggiestewart
AF Newbie

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? It is located in a separate bank of three relays under a black cover on the passenger side fender, right behind the air box. It almost sounds like someone as wired around it? It, and the main relay should be replaced as cheap insurance.

There is a brake light switch in front of the brake pedal, but if it has failed the brake lights should be be on anytime the key is on? It's a common failure, and if it is bad, it's a cheap fix.

On your hazard/blinker issue. Try swapping the defogger switch for the hazard switch. I made this mistake about a week ago, and was pulling my hair out to find the problem. If the previous owner ever pulled the dash apart, they may have been switched. I'm not sure why they fit each other?

The window problem could be the switches. Old ones tend to have what I call "sweet spots". They get corroded inside and only work if you find just the right spot. If you are carefull, you can actually take them a part and clean them.

Hope something here helps!

Good luck!
reggiestewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
89bmw325ikid
AF Newbie

i believe i found my brake/turn signal problem. i took apart my taillights and found the panel that holds the lightbulbs to be very corroded and oxidized causing little electrical "bridges" with the panels out, my turn signals work. im going to rebuild the panels and use wires instead of that dumb metal striping bmw has used. also the fuel pump turns off with the key off and also with the lights off. i can turn the fuel pump on if i turn the lights on, even with the key off. i just want to get my lights working so that i can pass inspection and drive it while i figure out the other small problems.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series