Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
fox owner
AF Newbie

are these problems with my fox?

I have a 1988 volkswagen fox wagon and have noticed a few quirks about it. This is my first fox. Can anyone tell me what they could be or what I should do?

First, the fuel pump makes a funny noise. Further, there is a new noise which happens mostly when idling - a kind of repetitive whining sound - has anyone had a fuel pump that makes that noise? Or is it something else. Occasionally, it feels like it's not quite as perky as usual when I hit the gas...but this is very occasional. Overall, it seems that fuel is making its way no problem through to the engine. Is my fuel system starting to die on me and if so what should I do? Can I fix it myself and if so, how much do parts cost?

Second, sometimes when I'm sure I've engaged the clutch in reverse, I hit the gas to discover it's not really engaged (or partly engaged if that's possible(?), and it makes this strange ticking noise. Is this a bad sign for my clutch?

Third, I need to replace my windsheild and have heard this model of fox has the tar setting which needs to chiselled out...Anyone done this themselves who can give me any tips?

Fourth, my fox is that burgundy reddish colour. In a few places where the paint has come off or worn away, it's white underneath...is this normal?

Thanks to anyone who's got any input for me.
fox owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: are these problems with my fox?

A light hum from the fuel pump is okay, a louder whine is a sign it is wearing out. If it is dieing it can affect the engine's performance. Fox shifter lingkage adjustment is very complicated. There is a special VW tool to do it correctly, & mostr VW dealers don't even have the tool any longer. There are also several bushings under the shift boot that can cause your symptoms. I don't know of anything special about Fox windshields, any glass shop can handle it. The white color under the paint is the primer coat.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
fox owner
AF Newbie

Re: Re: are these problems with my fox?

Hey

Thanks for your input. Yes, I think the light hum has just become a light whine. Someone else also told me it sounds like the pump inside the tank might be starting to go. Strange to have a pump both inside and outside the fuel tank, though, no?

Thanks again. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschmann
A light hum from the fuel pump is okay, a louder whine is a sign it is wearing out. If it is dieing it can affect the engine's performance. Fox shifter lingkage adjustment is very complicated. There is a special VW tool to do it correctly, & mostr VW dealers don't even have the tool any longer. There are also several bushings under the shift boot that can cause your symptoms. I don't know of anything special about Fox windshields, any glass shop can handle it. The white color under the paint is the primer coat.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:00 PM   #4
boschmann
AF Fanatic

That is possoble, but usually you also get other problems like hard to start after parked on a hill. It's easy enough to test. Just unplug the main puimp, then disconnect the supply line at the main pump that comes from the tank transfer pump. Turn the key to on & see if the transfer pump supplys fuel (it will only run for about two seconds)
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
noodle32
AF Newbie

I suspect the fuel filter

I would have to say that if your fuel filter hasn't been replaced then it may very well need to be - most of the probs I've had that are fuel related with this car (in the 5 years I've had this car) is somehow or another related to the fuel filter - if it gets bad enough - it'll become harder to start - fuel filters usually last about 10 years on average with normal driving - so if it looks like it needs to be replaced - it very well may need to be - good luck!
noodle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:53 AM   #6
fox owner
AF Newbie

fuel filter solved the problem

I changed the fuel filter and that took care of it. Warning to all you Canadians out there though: if you buy the one listed for the fox at Canadian tire, it doesn't fit properly. I had to order Bosch one from a different parts store.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
vwsmp
AF Newbie

I have experienced all of those with my car too. it is the fuel pump and although im not positive ill bet that all fuel pumps do, its just that the fox has very little sound deadening and so youre going to hear it more.
the sound with reverse means its has popped out of gear. all ive ever done is put it back in gear and try until it works or ive jerked back far enough to go forward
most windshields have leftover sealant when you take out the windshield. i recently replaced mine, i had someone do it for me and it only cost $200. just make sure you ask around for a good glass company because mine leaks a little.
different color cars actually need a different color primer. i intern in a body shop and the guy who does most of painting actually went to a class for it once and they sprayed a dark green over two shades of primer and the lighter primer produced an overall better appearance. and also the same thing is happening to my roof, its just the primer, like i said.
and the lag... it happens to me too but i dont know why.
-sean
vwsmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 09:29 AM   #8
fox owner
AF Newbie

Hi

Thanks for your input. The fuel pump stopped making noise as soon as I changed the fuel filter - it was actually pretty miraculous - not a peep since, so I'm crossing my fingers that the pump itself won't go anytime soon.

As for the windsheild, I haven't changed it yet. It has a number of cracks, but doesn't leak, and the best deal I've been able to find for changing it involves going to the wreck yard, having a used one pulled for 115$, taking it home, then having some guy come to my house, pull the old one, then I would put in all the labour to chisel out all the tar, then the guy comes back and puts the new(used) one in. The guy charges 80$. If I were to take it to a glass place where they do all the changes I've been quoted 500$-600$ because the 1988 has that tar and there is so much labour involved. But, then again, I live in Canada, where everything is more expensive. Are you Canadian? do you have a 1988 too?

Cheers and thanks again.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
spasticone
AF Regular

The windshield is held in by "window ribbon" a rubbery compound that hardens a bit, but stays pliabble. I don't know about the whole "tar" part. I grew up in a body shop and we cut vdub windshields out with a standard issue windshield knife. the ribbon is like 15 bucks and the knife is around 15 bucks for a cheapy.. $80 is a good deal for removal/install. I'd pay, but try and get a guarentee on leaks.
spasticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
fox owner
AF Newbie

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I still haven't changed the windshield, but still no leaks. I'm getting to it and will let you know what turns out to be holding it in.

Cheers. Josie.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion