Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
NPRfan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NPRfan Send a message via Yahoo to NPRfan
1994 530 transmission shifting problem

I've got a '94 530 with about 95,000 miles, that shifts great when it is cold but as it warms up it starts to hesitate between 2nd and 3rd then bangs into 3rd with a sharp thud. If I let up on the gas while it is hesitating, it may go into 3rd more gently. I've had the problem for about 6 months. My regular BMW independent mechanic said that I need to have it rebuilt for about $2000. (He has been good but expensive). He rebuilt a friends 500 MB with the same problem and fixed it but she has more $$$ than I. A second mechanic (an excellent Fiat Lancia mechanic) said to try to change the tranny fluid several times over 1000 miles. It seemed to help but I still have the problem. The fluid was dark, dirty and burnt (I assume). Point 1: If this is such a common problem why don't the BMW mechanics recommend changing the fluid more often? Point 2: Is this a valvebody problem? 3: Will changing the fluid again help even more? 4: Is there a way to fix the problem for less than $2000. I'm in the Los Angeles -Pasadena area. 5: I would like to postpone the repair until I have more $$$. Will driving it gently now make it worse and a more costly repair in the future? Any comments are greatly appreciated. (fAtencio@earthlink.net) Thanks.
NPRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
kbaki
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 530 transmission shifting problem

Get a book on your car, it may be a leakage problem, I'm not sure if yours has a step down, speed sen. or the leakage to the trans may need ajusted. Try this first if not think about a used or rebuilt trans.
kbaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
fbenbeatty
AF Newbie

Hey, you probably need a new speed sensor, not a trans. I may even be dirty...
fbenbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Forrd
AF Newbie

Angry Did it Work out?

How did it work out?
I own a car with the same problem, I too have changed oil and filter several times in a short period but the situation didnīt change
Forrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
NPRfan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NPRfan Send a message via Yahoo to NPRfan
Re: Did it Work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrd
How did it work out?
I own a car with the same problem, I too have changed oil and filter several times in a short period but the situation didnīt change
Sorry, I don't have good news for you. I lived with the problem for at least a couple of years then had the tranny rebuilt by a local independent mechanic that I really trust. I think it was fixed but I became hypersensitive to shifting irregularties. I sold the car shortly after having the tranny rebuilt so I do not have long term information for you. Good luck.
NPRfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
only bmw's for me
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 530 transmission shifting problem

I know the answer, you'll not like it. The 530I has the very superior bmw trans, but even they go bad. The 5sp auto trans hold over 9qts. That cost $50.00 a qt. If you have a 4sp auto that is a real piece of junk that usually only comes in a 525I. It is a very weak General Mts trans called a 4l30-e or similar #. If you have the german made 5sp auto that's gone bad, I don't think anybody rebuilds these with good results... The dealer only replaces them with new or rebuilt 1's, from bmw, they built them only they know how to fix them, at a $5 to 7k price....Bill.
only bmw's for me is offline   Reply With Quote