Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

New Mufflers and 3" pipe from the headers back

Latest project to increase HP and decrease weight....

While at Daytona one of the magnaflow mufflers exploded from the inside out sooooo.......

I ditched the magnaflow mufflers my car came with weighing in at roughly 18lbs each and went with a lightweight muffler that they use in ALMS on the LMPC cars and the IMSA lights...

http://www.coastfab.com/mufflers.html

weighing in at 3.29 lbs each

http://www.coastfab.com/mufflersizes.html

I cut the reducer off the headman headers and welded on a mandral bent 3" 45 degree replacment tube:

Then it was just bolting up the muffler and making a new tailpipe using straight pipe and a mandrel bent 90 degree piece welded on at a slight angle to turn out the body work.

The new sound is rediculous!!! Very low/deep and sharp with the required flames

I think I picked up 30lbs in weight reduction and at least 10hp......

We shall see if I notice on the track! Sounds like a big block race engine now!
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
PanozDuke
AF Regular

Re: New Mufflers and 3" pipe from the headers back

It IS a big block engine. Good it sounds the cubes now!

Mike
PanozDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Werling
AF Newbie

On some of the tracks we run we have sounds limits any idea what the DB's are with the new muffler?
Werling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Just did a similar job on my car Brian. We were recorded at 108db at my local track and as they have now clamped down on noise we were forced to mod the car for the NZ Endurance Champs (got 4th outright and 2nd in class at first round).

Ended up fitting a dual 3" system with a X pipe up the front. Used locally built straight through stainless steel race mufflers. They are 570mm long.....!! Brought the noise down to 92db.

Best part was that when we dynoed the car just prior to Christmas we have picked up power and it is now making around 470rwhp at 6400. Naturaly torque is up to with a real healthy spike around 4400 - 4800.

Hard to say how much of this is due the dual 3" system as changed heads to Edelbrock Victor Juniors as well so the larger inlet runner (210cc Vs prvious 185cc) will be boosting mid range and top end power.

Mine sounds more turbine like now but still gets it on!! Oh yeah, throws massive flames now as well under brakes. Had to enlarge the alloy heat shield around the exhaust as it was crisping the body work. Flames a couple of feet long when buttoned off and under brakes going into slow corners!! Looks insane and cant wait to see what this looks like in a night race.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
PanozDuke
AF Regular

Kel,
When you can, post some photos of the new pipes. And especially the flames day and night.

Happy New Year,
Mike
PanozDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
NZGTRA17
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDuke View Post
Kel,
When you can, post some photos of the new pipes. And especially the flames day and night.

Happy New Year,
Mike
Will do Mike. Unfortunately I cant move the car at the moment as waiting for some wheels that are getting machined. Will take some photo's of the exhaust pipe work when I can move it. Fitment involved a bit of work as we had to cut some of the passenger side panelling out to make room for the 2 mufflers to sit on top of each other. Came out very nicely and we now have a system that will last years and easily tame 550 - 650hp I expect.

I now have a great sponsor supplying me tyres (Alert Motorsport supplying me Federal FZ201's) and we are moving the car onto 285/30/18's. Hence the change to 18" x 10" wheels.

Cant wait to let rip with the bigger tyres, the additional hp and hopefully the diffuser for our next endurance race.

Happy New Year, Kel.
Panoz GTRA #17
New Zealand
NZGTRA17 is offline   Reply With Quote