Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
PanozDuke
AF Regular

Re: Are stroker 347 SBF's more prone to piston slap?

Paul,
#6 has certainly come a long way since you bought it. Let me know when you'll be running it at Harris Hill or some place closer to me like MSR Houston or TWS. I'd like to see it, meet you and watch you run it.

Are you EFI or carb now?

Mike
College Station
PanozDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
PanozDuke
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig245 View Post
I put a Ford Racing 347 crate motor in my car and can't complain at all. I put 83 track hours on it and then decided to freshen it up. It needed nothing. Inspected everything, honed the cylinders and put in new rings and bearings etc. Broke it in on a chassis dyne yesterday and it put out 440 rwhp at 6000 rpm and 420 ft-lbs at 4800 rpm. It moves the car right along. Ford calls the engine 450 hp, but it is obviously doing better than that at the flywheel. It is such a reliable and easy engine, hydraulic roller cams, port matched Z Ford head. $8700 with intake, flywheel and damper. I bought it through Summit.

Craig
Craig,
That is awesome. I really doubted Fords advertised hp rating on that motor, not any more! Which intake, carb, headers and exhaust?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Craig245
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDuke View Post
Craig,
That is awesome. I really doubted Fords advertised hp rating on that motor, not any more! Which intake, carb, headers and exhaust?

Thanks,
Mike
It came with the Victor Jr. single plane intake, and I bought a Holly HP 650. (Since I'm only running to 6000 rpm a 650 works fine.) The headers are also from Ford, they are shorties made for the "Z" head install into a Fox bodied Mustang. The exhaust in 2.5 inches and includes a DynoMax Turbo Muffler, required to meet some of the sound limits on the west coast. I know that it sounds like I did everything wrong to make HP, but it all works, and have have no idea what the the engine would actually do on an engine dyno. I does drive like 440 RWHP, so I'm inclined to believe it.

Craig

Craig Wright
PGTRA #21
'05 Ford GT
'65 XKE (newest addition)
Craig245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig245 For This Useful Post:
PanozDuke (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

I bought the stroker 392 ford crate motor and it did everything they claimed. Ran it for probably 25+ race hrs. and then sold it when our 427 drysumped motors got finished. The motor did everything I expected it to do.
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #20
P_Mac
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDuke View Post
Paul,
#6 has certainly come a long way since you bought it. Let me know when you'll be running it at Harris Hill or some place closer to me like MSR Houston or TWS. I'd like to see it, meet you and watch you run it.

Are you EFI or carb now?

Mike
College Station
Hi Mike:

I'm still harboring a lot of guilt for buying it when you were on your way to see it, but if you come unarmed, I'm sure we can work something out. Since I bought it, I've only driven it at Harris Hill, and I'm at a point now where I'd like to venture out to some different tracks, so maybe a trip to College Station/Houston will be in my future.

When we went for the build, we chose to go with EFI, principally to keep the car more plug and play, and maintain the throttle response, and ease of tuning that a road-racing motor would ideally have. I've been very happy with the results. The power level is enough to still hook up well coming out of corners, but get rowdy if you want to. I run on r-comps, so 380 to the wheels is enough to challenge them without being undriveable (I destroyed the rear suspension about 3 weeks after the rest of the build was complete, so that was another two months of non-running time to beef it up. I feel like at the moment, we have a good balance of power and chassis). From where we are now, the next obvious improvements in speed would come from less parachute-esque aerodynamic qualities, rather than extra horsepower.
P_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #21
PanozDuke
AF Regular

Paul,
It was meant for you to get #6. I ended up getting a nice one also and made some great contacts in Florida and Georgia in the process. There are plenty of these great cars to go around as they remain one of the best kept track toy secrets.

I'll need to compare notes with you to figure out how to get a little more out of mine. Was your rear suspension problem in the four arms? What did you do to fix it?

Happy New Year,
Mike