Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
gosborne
AF Newbie

Need help with wing and uprights

I have been working on the rebuild/restore of my GTWC car (#11) coming up on 3 years and am ready to hang the body and finally get the car back on track.

Where I am struggling is with the wing. I don't have a factory wing or uprights and am starting from scratch here. I did buy the last set of uprights that Eric made but it was after I bought them I realized they were intended to bolt to the existing. My questions are:

1) is the factory wing, if positioned properly, effective and adjustable? I know it was on the car originally for aesthetics and wonder if positioned up and back if it is effective or not since it was not originally designed to be functional. The cost of a factory wing from PAD is quite a bit less than an aftermarket wing from one of several suppliers. If the consensuses is that is it effective, I'll go that route, buy an original wing from PAD, and invest the $$ saved elsewhere.

2) I know there are several posts on this but can anyone provide a pattern or dimensions for uprights and mounting?? Again, I do have those that Eric made but, not sure if I can use those without the factory bits to cut and bolt to or not. I did drill and mount them to the factory location just as an experiment but am not sure they are usable in that manner. They certianly aren't aligned with the factory clearences on the trunk lid/rear quarter so, not sure on that. Again, I have nothing to reference since the car had no uprights or wing when I bought it.

The challenge I have is very limited time to research and experiment and any assistance to help me jumpstart this process and wrap up my build would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has built their own solution for uprights and also a front splitter that they would be able to recreate, I am an interested buyer if it will shorten the time to completion for my project.

Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

Gary

Panoz GT-WC #11 (build in progress)
74 Porsche 911 IROC replica
88 Porsche 944 Cup race car #12 (sold)
gosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need help with wing and uprights

I have a CAD file for the one piece uprights that I make to hold the wing in a new position. I also have a paper template of a splitter that you cut from aluminum or plywood and then use a shrinker to make some angled brackets.
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
CMPanoz
AF Newbie

Panozracing CAD and template worked well for me. The uprights have held up well also.
CMPanoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
gosborne
AF Newbie

Brian,

Thanks for offering to help, much appreciated. I'll PM you with contact info.

CMPanoz - thanks for the feedback

Best,
Gary

Panoz GT-WC #11 (build in progress)
74 Porsche 911 IROC replica
88 Porsche 944 Cup race car #12 (sold)
gosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

CMPanoz - what material did you make the splitter out of? My newest version is cheap 3/8" CDX plywood with a round over edge done with a router then painted with a flat black. It seems to be working better. Stiffer and cheaper.
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
CMPanoz
AF Newbie

Brian,

I made the splitter out of aluminum, do not recall the gage off hand. It sustained a little damage after the engine failed and I went off track to prevent a mess. I was thinking about the plywood rout but am concentrating on getting the new engine installed.

Chris
CMPanoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Riverside Racing
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by panozracing View Post
I have a CAD file for the one piece uprights that I make to hold the wing in a new position. I also have a paper template of a splitter that you cut from aluminum or plywood and then use a shrinker to make some angled brackets.
Brian, PM sent. I could use the CAD file and the template too.
Thanks,
Tom Whitfield
Riverside Racing is offline   Reply With Quote