Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Foghorn37
Bum

Fuel Cell replacement

The bladder in my fuel cell is leaking (it has several small tears in the top of the bladder under the lid of the box.

Once again, I started this with the best of intentions...just wanted to check the foam (which was in good shape). My little voice asked why the bottom of the cell was wet around the weep hole, so off came the lid and viola'....

A new pro-line bladder from Fuel Safe is ~ $1150 with a three week turn....or Fuel safe has a special for a complete brand new fuel cell (with free shipping if ordered online) for ~ $650. The dimensions are the same length, 1/2 shorter on the width, and the same height as the cell that is in my car. The bladder is a material that is a little heavier that the pro line material. The plate fittings are -8 instead of -6...

The sump is a $155 option (installed), or I can recycle my current one and cut the foam myself.

Seems like an easy decision....any advice?
Foghorn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Blue Streak 21
AF Regular

Re: Fuel Cell replacement

Slam dunk. With the DIY cutting of the foam and recycle you're miles (and hundreds of $$$) ahead.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

I saw all that but there has to be a reason the more expensive bladder is more money. I want with the more expensive one. After all it is a race car and every corner I have ever cut has come back to haunt me.
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Foghorn37
Bum

Brian,

Your point is well taken. Cutting corners is never justified in any situation - especially safety equipment. If you can't afford the proper safety gear, then you can't afford to operate the vehicle.

That said, the only difference btwn the two is the bladder material and fitting sizes, which Rob at Fuel Safe described in detail. Material density, fuel type compatability, fuel cell capacity, etc. etc. etc.
Foghorn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
boothkc
AF Regular

I'd go with the new cell. We replaced one in the GTS car after it was rear ended 30 sec into a 4h race. They do work as cell was at least 30% crushed and no spilled fuel.

From memory, the new cell was 32gal, but not quite the same size as the older 32g cell.... so new straps had to be bent up to hold it in (pretty easy). Also, I think the rear body/bumper has to be off to replace the cell.

Kevin
boothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
panozracing
AF Enthusiast

I got the cell out by loosing the roof panels and the fenders and it just squeezed out. I also got fuel safe (after shipping me the wrong cell) to make an exact replacement. I went thru PAD for the cell so I made sure I was not liable for the fit. I took the metal can out, sandblasted it and repainted it. Looks purdy!
2000 Panoz GTS #420
NASA ST1
427ci Stroker
panozracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
NewToPanozGTS
AF Newbie

I purchased a NOS bladder at a great price from a closed down Panoz dealer. Unknown to me some cars were delivered with Fuel Safe cells and some with ATL cells. The ATL cell is slightly larger (I can post the dimensions if anyone is interested) and will not fit in my Fuel Safe can. I now have yet another garage ornament.
NewToPanozGTS is offline   Reply With Quote