Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #46
dansrv
AF Newbie

Re: Burning rubber smell

our 2009 crv has a burning rubber smell from fwd rh side. No smell for 20,000 miles, then towed behind motorhome for 500 miles. No smell during towing.First drive after tow,smell started. Now smells whenever car is driven. We stop every 4 hours to run engine and lube transmission. Car is 2 wheel drive. Dealer has no idea what problem is. Been in maintenance 50 years and i cant find problem.
dansrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #47
thebignewf
AF Newbie

Add mine to the list; I’ve had the “burning” smell on my 06 CR-V since I purchased it 4 years ago. Started as soon as I drove it off the lot. Originally I thought it was smells coming off a new car as it was being “broken in”. 4 years 50K later, including a long drive from Victoria B.C. to St. John’s Newfoundland (7300kms) and still same smell every time I get out of my car. I don’t notice it while driving but as soon as I park and get out of the car you can smell it as you walk away from the car. The salt thing is garbage as my first 3 years with the car were in Victoria where they don’t use salt and barely get any snow. Same smell with stock and winter tires, no difference. After my cross country trek I had the differential fluids replaced as I was getting some noise from my tires when making sharp turns, this fixed that problem but still has the smell. It doesn’t matter if it is wet or dry out, I think something is clearly heating up when being driven, whether it is the break pad or wheel joint, some type of glue or adhesive coating, not sure. Last night it was wet out and when I parked my car in my driveway you could see the steam bellowing out from the rear right tire. It seems to be coming from behind and on the inside of the tire, so perhaps the exhaust area? I would think if the exhaust didn’t play some part the same would happen on the other side of the car, as all the tires should be otherwise the same. This is the first time I’ve notice it was only from one tire, and after reading everyone’s posts it makes sense. Has anyone replaced their exhaust or muffler? Did this make a difference? Just a thought. Just another note, my car is manual transmission, and if I recall last time I had it in the rear brakes were wearing down faster than the front, again I attributed this to gearing down which would take more pressure off the front breaks. I’m assuming AT or MT doesn’t have much to do with it but thought I’d throw it out there.
thebignewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #48
mttodd
AF Newbie

I also have this problem in a 2004 Civic VP sedan that I just purchased used. The car has 100k miles, but after the pre-purchase inspection, the mechanic said that the car was in perfect condition. I didn't smell anything for the first month that I drove the car, even though there was some rain. However, as soon as I drove the car in wet, snowy weather, I smelled a burning rubber or burning wire smell coming through the car's air circulation system. It doesn't seem to be stuck breaks, as the car moves forward under idling power.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #49
skinkrj1
AF Newbie

Here's one more CRV to add to the list. I have a 2006 CRV that my wife drives. For quite some time we have been getting this burning rubber smell in the wheel well of the rear passenger side tire also. Today I inspected and cleaned the rotors and inside of the wheel. The brake pad looks good and the rotor is smooth. The vehicle breaks straight and feels smooth. After cleaning the rotor and tire, I took it for a test drive and still got the burning rubber smell. The tire has perfect even treadwear. Exhaust pipe and muffler looks normal with no corrosion or holes. I live in the Seattle area and the roads have been wet most of the time the last few months. I really don't want to take it to the dealer or other mechanic shop and spend $100-$200 just for them to tell me they don't know what the problem is. The CRV has about 90,000 miles. I will call the dealer tomorrow, but I'm sure they will say they never heard of the problem. Will post if I learn anything new. Very frustrating, this is no coincidence.
skinkrj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #50
Cmabel
AF Newbie

WOW! This is nice in one way to find out we are not alone but frustrating that no one can get an answer from Honda. I have a 2009 Acura CSX with this same smell and the dealership tells me it is the de icing chemical that the city (Calgary, Alberta) puts on the road burning off of the muffler. This is my third Acura and not my only car currently but the first time I have noticed this smell. They also ccould not explain why the 2010 CSX loaner did not have the smell?? Anyway I hope Honda can figure this out, or we may decide to trade in.
Cmabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #51
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
I also have this problem in a 2004 Civic VP sedan that I just purchased used. The car has 100k miles, but after the pre-purchase inspection, the mechanic said that the car was in perfect condition. I didn't smell anything for the first month that I drove the car, even though there was some rain. However, as soon as I drove the car in wet, snowy weather, I smelled a burning rubber or burning wire smell coming through the car's air circulation system. It doesn't seem to be stuck breaks, as the car moves forward under idling power.
Have you checked your coolant level. A leaking heater core will stink and leave deposits on the inside of the windshield.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #52
iamsupermercy
AF Newbie

hi guys....
iamsupermercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #53
johnholl
AF Regular

Has the smell come back? Was it the transaxle fluid?
johnholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #54
johnholl
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
Honda rear wheels need adjusted to specifications. If way out a tire will smoke. These take a SPC-69330 10 point socket or equivalent to adjust.
What do you mean by wheel adjustment. This is the second CR-v with the same problem we've ownned. The Factory Trained Techs don't have an answer!

johnholl134@hotmail.com
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #55
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnholl View Post
What do you mean by wheel adjustment. This is the second CR-v with the same problem we've ownned. The Factory Trained Techs don't have an answer!

johnholl134@hotmail.com
The rear wheels have an adjustment and toe-in or toe out,caster and camber. This can cause the rear wheels to smoke. Try a quality tire shop and ask them to check this out.
The dealer can do this but it costs money and is not free.
Normally you can look at the tires and observe cupping,wear along the edges.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #56
johnholl
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
The rear wheels have an adjustment and toe-in or toe out,caster and camber. This can cause the rear wheels to smoke. Try a quality tire shop and ask them to check this out.
The dealer can do this but it costs money and is not free.
Normally you can look at the tires and observe cupping,wear along the edges.
I'll give it a shot, But I think the tires would be warm to the touch or cupped. Are the specs listed anywhere? Also if it smells just Idling it wouldn't be the drivetrain. I'll go next door when I get a chance and check it out. [parents car, not ours].

Thanks, John
Old 05-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #57
jns77
AF Newbie

I have a 2002 CR-V and just started noticing the same smell from the right rear wheel. It's been a very rainy couple of weeks here in the DC metro area, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'm glad to see it's not just me! I was worried that it was something I had to get checked out immediately. Am I ok to keep driving it like this??
jns77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #58
Cakeboss
AF Newbie

Question Re: Burning rubber smell

I own a 2010 CR-V EX-L 4WD/Nav (bought in Nov' 2009) and have recently noticed the same burning smell. I drove the car for two winters in Chicago and now i am in California with no more salty raods in winter. The car has 26000 miles on it. The burning smell started coming from the same rear passenger side tire. I am planning to go on a long drive (800 miles roundtrip) and am worried about our safety. I was wondering if anyone has identified what the reason is? It has been a long running thread for almost 7 years and still Honda does not acknowledge this issue!!! Should I talk to the Dealer?
Please let us all know if you have any information. Thanks.

Last edited by Cakeboss; 10-27-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: .
Cakeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #59
gspac1970
AF Newbie

This is probably the answer :

http://blog.mdwholesale.com/how-to-f...he-right-side/

The culprit seems to be the design of the Honda exhaust system, specifically an anti-corrosion coating on the muffler and/or exhaust system. When the muffler gets really hot and road debris gets on the muffler, this coating gives off the rubber burnt smell. It is probably worse in wet and snowy conditions when more debris gets thrown onto the muffler.

I own a 2005 Honda Accord and I also have this problem.

Joe
gspac1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #60
darrahg
AF Newbie

My daughter has my old '98 CRV with apx. 250 miles on it. She just recently bagan to notice a burning smell. Thus, my interest in this thread.
I have looked high and low and had it into the dealer twice with no positive conclusion other than to state that there is no visible burn damage or anything else that would give one a hint as to the source. Recently, the passanger side transmission seal was replaced (twice) and oil pan gasket to stop minor leaks. I did notice that there was a plastic bag melted to the front exhaust but that has since melted away. Oh, the transmission seal has begun to drip a little and was told that the transmission opening, where the seal is positioned, is wollowed out. These should not have anything to do with that particular smell though.
darrahg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V