Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #31
1998Ramtuff
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Multiple missfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan
I have a long shot...you said it runs rough at low rpm, and hard starting. On the older Mopar motors, the timing chain would stretch enough to cause the problems you're having. It's worth a check to open the timing chain cover and see if there's slack in the chain.

I thought exactly the same thing. I do have an annoying wine that at first I thought was comming from the tranny, but I believe it may be from the tensionometer stressing to keep the timing chain tight. I will call the dealer first thing Monday to have them check that. I would do it my self but I now live in an apartment complex so I don't have anywhere to work on it temporarly.

Thanks for the input. I will keep you all updated.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #32
1998Ramtuff
AF Newbie

I think a fix is on the horizon

I talked with the technician at the dealership this morning. He told me that I was down 2 quarts of oil(with no oil leaks) and found 2 oil fouled plugs. The intake manifold gasket has been leaking on the lower end causing oil to get into the combustion chambers. I looked into the manifold last week, but I didn't see anything(untrained eye). I will update you guys after I get the truck back to let you know the conclusion to this nightmare.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #33
Blylock
AF Newbie

you will not see oil down there unless the gasket is leaking near the throttle body, if its not near it, the oil will be sucked through the engine before it reaches sight from the TB opening.
KN cold air intake
Bosch +4 Platnum Plugs
180 Degree Thermostat

I would suggest to anyone with a Ram to convert to a performance exhaust, especially if towing alot.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 PM   #34
1998Ramtuff
AF Newbie

Re: Multiple missfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blylock
you will not see oil down there unless the gasket is leaking near the throttle body, if its not near it, the oil will be sucked through the engine before it reaches sight from the TB opening.
Update - I got the truck back from the dealer $1066.00 OUCH!!!! They changed out the intake manifold gasket, thermostat due to leaky gasket. I also had them perform the fuel injection flush and the tranny flush. The truck is now running great and have been driving it for 3 days now and no "Check Engine" light, however, it is still hard to start. It takes some cranking to get it running. The dealer did mention that he heard a growling from the exhaust which he believes is coming from the catylitic converter. Could this be my problem for the hard starts? Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:03 PM   #35
1998Ramtuff
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Multiple missfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998Ramtuff
Update - I got the truck back from the dealer $1066.00 OUCH!!!! They changed out the intake manifold gasket, thermostat due to leaky gasket. I also had them perform the fuel injection flush and the tranny flush. The truck is now running great and have been driving it for 3 days now and no "Check Engine" light, however, it is still hard to start. It takes some cranking to get it running. The dealer did mention that he heard a growling from the exhaust which he believes is coming from the catylitic converter. Could this be my problem for the hard starts? Thoughts?
It's back!!!!! I have recently had the catylitic Converter R&R'd and still no help. The truck is still hard to start at times (Long crank required)but not always. I am about ready to trade this darn thing in and get one of them employee discounted chevy silverado 4x4s!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #36
TurboSW
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Multiple missfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998Ramtuff
It's back!!!!! I have recently had the catylitic Converter R&R'd and still no help. The truck is still hard to start at times (Long crank required)but not always. I am about ready to trade this darn thing in and get one of them employee discounted chevy silverado 4x4s!
Why not buy a new Ram? Everyone and their grandma's have crap ass Chevy's.

Question for you. Why would you take your truck to a dealer? They are the worst. I have heard horror storys about the dealer mechanics. My Ex's bother was a dealer mechanic and he used to sabotage customers engines just to create work when it was slow.

Did you have a diagnostics test done?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 AM   #37
1998Ramtuff
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Multiple missfiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSW
Why not buy a new Ram? Everyone and their grandma's have crap ass Chevy's.

Question for you. Why would you take your truck to a dealer? They are the worst. I have heard horror storys about the dealer mechanics. My Ex's bother was a dealer mechanic and he used to sabotage customers engines just to create work when it was slow.

Did you have a diagnostics test done?
Yes, I did. Multiple missfire code is all it's giving me. Breakdown showed missfires on all but 1 cylinder #4. I'll consider anew dodge when I hear that Dodge has totally revamped their tranny. This dealer was pretty good. I have no coplaints about how I was treated. I'm sure their are some out there that pull that kind of stuff but I think unethical people travel in all walks of life.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:42 AM   #38
Ramrod98
AF Newbie

I just ghad the same thing with no code thrown on a 2000 eam 5.2. The dealer had a hard time finding the problem and guessed tht possibly the o2 sensor could be sticking. there were multiple missfires. They tried an o2 sensor and it did the job. the truck runs fine now.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:46 AM   #39
1998Ramtuff
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod98
I just ghad the same thing with no code thrown on a 2000 eam 5.2. The dealer had a hard time finding the problem and guessed tht possibly the o2 sensor could be sticking. there were multiple missfires. They tried an o2 sensor and it did the job. the truck runs fine now.
I took your advice and replaced both O2 sensors. No help, still intermittently runs ruff at lower rpms with a check engine light soon to follow. It is killing me in gas too.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:34 AM   #40
20yrmastermech
AF Newbie

everybody is missing the obvious.... fuel! the first thing I would do is obtain a fuel pressure tester. fuel pressure should climb to spec.s within 2 seconds or so as yo turn key on (pump will run for 2 sec.s when key is turned to "run" position) and it should hold pressure for a while (@ least 5 min.)
if it doesn't reach spec.s AND HOLD (usually 30 - 40 psi), possible problems:
1. bad pump
2. bad/leaking fp regulator
3. restricted/plugged "filter"
All these components are in the fuel tank.... but your fuel test port is on the fuel rail.... I would definitely confirm/rule out these items!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #41
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

actually, you're missing the obvious.

and that is that this thread has been dead since '05.

well done, give yourself a pat on the back for reviving an old thread.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #42
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Well, why not close it Chris? You're a moderator remember.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #43
20yrmastermech
AF Newbie

it may be a dead topic, or the R1500 may have been sitting in a BARN since '05.

as you were....

and yes, I assumed that it was still an open ended thread, as most top notch forums close or lock threads after a certain length of inactivity.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #44
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

the rule here is that if a thread hasn't been posted in for 3 months, it's dead. and we don't bring back old threads.

i can't close this because i'm a regional and not assigned to this section.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #45
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Closed. Hopefully he got it fixed.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10