Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
spasticone
AF Regular

Question '92 16v 2.0 passat stalling at stops

I have a 92 passat with the 2.0 16v engine. It has a tendency of stalling when you push in the clutch for a stop sign. It's not every time, but it is often. I have done everything I can think of to correct the problem:
-New plugs, cap, rotor, air filter.....
-Remove throttle body and clean well,
-Clean intake system,
-Check vacuum system
-Fix any intake leaks

When I cleaned the throttle body, I thought it was fixed. it stopped stalling, but still dipped into the 250 rpm range and then came back up to 850rpms for Idle. Unfortunatly, 2 weeks later, it's back, stalling all the time. The car runs VERY well other than this problem, but this has become a dangerous habit for my dear Passat. If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE share. I'm at a loss for ideas.
spasticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: '92 16v 2.0 passat stalling at stops

Vacuum leaks are a common culprit & can be difficult to find, I'd look into that further. It's best not to have to turn the adjusting screw if possible. Has anyone ever removed the distributor or reset the ignition timing?
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
spasticone
AF Regular

I was hoping to here what you thought of this boschmann. You always seem to have good advice. I was also afraid vacuum leaks would be your answer. lol. I will check timing and let you know.. have to go get a light. Any other suggestions for finding leaks other than ether and replacing lines?
Thanks for your reply!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
boschmann
AF Fanatic

I can't remember all the hoses on a 16V Passat from memory. I do recall I had one that had a well hidden hose leak in a line from the throttle body to the air filter housing. I remember tee fittings in the large vacuum hose to the brake booster, those smaller lines go bad frequently. Do all your interior air box flaps work properly?
Old 05-27-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
spasticone
AF Regular

ok.. I checked all lines running from the throttle body to the air box. all checked out ok. then I moved to the brake booster lines. I found 2 lines that run over behind the battery. One runs to a vacuum switch/sensor of some sort.. all looks well on that one. the other one runs to a tee with one line running up under the inner fender and the other was just hanging there.. I thought Woo hoo.. found it.. but... I don't know where it goes. it had a "plastic tee end" broken off in it but no broken tee was to be found. I don't have the vacuum diagram so I don't know where it goes. I plugged it and drove it with only one stall, but still the same problem. It did seem to be a little better, but I'll have to drive it more to find out. any Ideas on where the line goes? I could take pictures if you think it may help. Thanks again.
oh yeah.. my interior vent flaps are manual.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
spasticone
AF Regular

Just wanted to update my last post. I found the vacuum line to connect the loose hose. the nipple was broken off of the sensor at the battery in back. anyway.. I fixed that and now it stalls more.. I'm getting rather frustrated with this. I need a good way of leak detection.. I tried ether and propane with no results. Anyway.. let me know what you think.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
boschmann
AF Fanatic

I don't have a vacuum schematic for that car either. Can you find a similar car anywhere to compare the connections?
Old 05-28-2004, 08:54 AM   #8
spasticone
AF Regular

There are 12 Vw's in my immediate family, but no othe 16V cars. Go figure..lol... I'm driving it to Va today for the weekend. We'll see how that goes. It's seems to happen more when it warms up. I have to do a little more checking. I'll keep ya posted.. thanks again for all the advice.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
spasticone
AF Regular

It was the O2 sensor 39 dollars for the ford mustang 3 wire. Works just like the universal, only 20 bucks less!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion