Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 02:47 PM   #1
5LtrEtr
AF Newbie

89' Delta 88: When it rains, car runs badly...

I just picked up a 89' Delta 88. It drives fine when the weather is good. When it rains out, the car runs very poorly. It has a hard time running smoothly, and runs very rich (i can smell the gas). I have not began to look at it yet, but just wanted to get a few ideas first. I am thinking in the direction of bad plug wires/ plugs.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
-Brian
5LtrEtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
W-44Olds
AF Newbie

Re: 89' Delta 88: When it rains, car runs badly...

Try spraying WD-40 on the wires and coil pack and see if it helps. It will help keep moisture off and help you figure out where the problem is. It is a cheap test!
W-44Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
Creative
AF Newbie

Re: 89' Delta 88: When it rains, car runs badly...

Heres a quick fix that usally works, it's also good for those that are haveing problems starting cold ... Rip off the coil pack (( both top and bottom )) I know getting the wrench on those bolts three bolt underneath is a real pain in the ..., but once you pull it off you'll notice they did an Aluminum base coil pack on an Aluminium mount and the Aluminium over time corrodes to form Aluminium Oxide a Great insultator also really hard so you need good sand paper and sand it down so it's nice and clean and sand down the mount, Then place a thin layer of antiseize if you like on the mateing surfaces and bolt it back down ..... And you'd be surprized what a good ground on the coil pack will do ........... worked on my 91 3800 and didn't need a single part just 20 mins and some 100 grit paper and few bad words getting the one nut off next to the engine by the grounding bolt that sticks out .....
Creative is offline   Reply With Quote