Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
02 grand prix
AF Newbie

k&n cone filter

I have recently acquired a k&n cone filter and am wondering if anyone has even tried to connect a cone filter to the pipe that leads into the m.a.f.? The only problem with this filter I have is that it is 3.75 inside diameter. Will it still fit or do I have to go buy some abs pipe or pvc pipe to make it fit? I am really looking to increase the throttle response on my car. Thanks for any responses.
02 grand prix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Hansnet
AF Regular

Re: k&n cone filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 grand prix
I have recently acquired a k&n cone filter and am wondering if anyone has even tried to connect a cone filter to the pipe that leads into the m.a.f.? The only problem with this filter I have is that it is 3.75 inside diameter. Will it still fit or do I have to go buy some abs pipe or pvc pipe to make it fit? I am really looking to increase the throttle response on my car. Thanks for any responses.

Go to your local Autozone (a.k.a. Rice HQ) you can find an intake pipe for a 92-00 Honda civic/94-00 Acura Integra.

$40 and GAUDY orange and yellow packaging. It's is 3" in diameter, and has about a 45* bend. It has two IAT places, one is a metal pipe, that extends from the bend, the other is a hole next to it. The hole is slightly too big for our IAT, it will fall out, and duct tape will not work (tried). Using the metal pipe, with supplied rubber hose will work, but there's a better place. K&N X-stream filters include an IAT hole, which is where the IAT would be in the stock airbox, right in the filter. Other filters can be drilled for this as well.

The supplied reducer may work as a velocity stack. It actually gets smaller where it's suppsed to hook up. You could run it into the TB while still running a clamping reducer on top of it and the TB. You'll need to pull ou the TB MAF screen for this. I haven't tested this at all, but it may give good airflow.

The reducer/coupler you see here is a Samco sport one (www.samcosport.com) It's silicone, and is the best thing for our intakes. Silicone reducers will flex, allowing a harder mount to the airbox area, where the silicone will soak up engine flex to a degree. You can also use a Generic 3" hose clamp. I bought one, but scavenged it for it's clamps when I got my hands on the Samco. Either will work.

I haven't finished a box solution yet, and it will be a few weeks before I'm able to build anyways.

Your filter options are the ricer filter @ the store (available in 3 colors) and any Generic 3" ID cone filter. The best option is the K&N RX-4750. Many members here are running them, and Mine is sitting @ my dorm waiting for me to pick it up. The pipe angles very nicely to corner of the engine bay, where the best air is.

You'll need to cut 2-3" of the long part of the pipe. Measure it and then cut for placing the filter as close to the headlight/corner as possible. The best air is there, and it's furthest from the engine. Keep Engine Torque/flex in mind while positioning it. Keeping the filter 1-1 1/2" from the edge is a good median.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

that is what hte item looks like.
Hansnet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight