Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
5minutemajor
AF Newbie

My 1998 88 LS has problems

Hello everyone, saying hi to all and greetings. I am not new to forums and I have done my searches but cannot find my answer. I was wondering if I can get some help from you guys. As my title says I own a 1998 88 LS, and there have been some recall notices on my car that have been discussed in some threads on this forum, ( I have had the recall taken care of ) but my CEL keeps coming on. My dealer told me not to worry and if it keeps coming on just come in and well reset it for you. He pointed to a part on the motor but please forgive me I forgot what the part name was, it looks like a solenoid valve or cylinder but I am not sure. It is located on the left drivers side behind the plastic engine cover. I will post a picture when I get my digi camera back from my girlfriends place. Anways, the dealer told me that I am not to worry, that that is what is throwing a CEL and it is not important and that my engine is not in harms way. However, if I wanted to replace it, it would cost around 400.00 Canadian. My question is, what is this part called and what does it do, and should I worry about his advice. Thank you very much.
5minutemajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
92-LS
AF Newbie

Re: My 1998 88 LS has problems

If it has both vaccum and electrical connections on it I'd say it's the canister purge valve.
92-LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
warwolf
AF Newbie

Re: My 1998 88 LS has problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5minutemajor
Hello everyone, saying hi to all and greetings. I am not new to forums and I have done my searches but cannot find my answer. I was wondering if I can get some help from you guys. As my title says I own a 1998 88 LS, and there have been some recall notices on my car that have been discussed in some threads on this forum, ( I have had the recall taken care of ) but my CEL keeps coming on. My dealer told me not to worry and if it keeps coming on just come in and well reset it for you. He pointed to a part on the motor but please forgive me I forgot what the part name was, it looks like a solenoid valve or cylinder but I am not sure. It is located on the left drivers side behind the plastic engine cover. I will post a picture when I get my digi camera back from my girlfriends place. Anways, the dealer told me that I am not to worry, that that is what is throwing a CEL and it is not important and that my engine is not in harms way. However, if I wanted to replace it, it would cost around 400.00 Canadian. My question is, what is this part called and what does it do, and should I worry about his advice. Thank you very much.
EGR Valve! Burns recirculated Exhaust Vapors! Get one at AutoZone 175 dollars US.
warwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Hansnet
AF Regular

go to autozone and get a test.

on your engine there was a service bulletin (not a saftey recall) becasue the egr stove pipe would melt your intake manifold. (L36 n/a engines)
Hansnet is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight