Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Prof_h
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2005 Altima no acceleration

Hi,
Was hoping someone could help with this problem...
2005 Altima SE 3.5L, 70k miles, starts and idles fine, but will not accelerate when the gas pedal is pushed. Does not matter if it is in p, n, r, or d. I did turn on the A/C and got pulsing acceleration, rpms went up past 3k, but now I can't even do that. Had the car in storage for a year and was running perfectly before I put it in storage. The battery was dead when I went to get it out of storage, so I charged it and put it back in the car and it started up, idled fine, but then went to drive it down the road, it wouldn't go above idle speed. I did replace the fuel pump, but that was not the problem, it still has no acceleration above idle.
I looked at the air filter and all the air intake areas, no nests from animals and no evidence of chewed wires.
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you.
Prof_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 2005 Altima no acceleration

Does your car have an all mechanical/cable operated throttle or some electronic Throttle-by-wire system?
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCStig For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Crvett69
AF Moderator

2005 altima should be a drive by wire system. will need a scanner/code reader to determine if its the throttle pedal part or the motor on the throttle body acting up. can also plug and unplug the throttle body plug, had one on a maxima doing same thing and plug was not making a good connection. also the alternator was only putting out about 12v so car was running out of voltage to run on
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crvett69 For This Useful Post:
Prof_h (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Prof_h
AF Newbie

Thank you to the both of you for responding. There is an electronic box under the gas pedal, so I guess it is electronic wire type gas pedal.
Today I noticed a lot of acid erosion around the bottom of the battery, perhaps the alternator is overcharging and causing some electronic problem? This car has never given me any problems, but it is over 10yrs old and probably could use some new parts.
I tried turning on the A/C and headlights while the motor was idling, I was then able to get the rpms at a steady 2k, but if I tried for more, I would get pulsing up to 3k then back to .8k.
After I turned off the motor, I heard a hissing sound coming from the battery vent ports and noticed all the acid below. Perhaps I am having a voltage problem?
I read on other posts something about a voltage regulator and how if it is not working, your car will not be accelerating properly.
I'm pretty sure this job is beyond my ability. The alternator is located in a very tight spot. The radiator may need removal, etc... I might as well get everything replaced. I haven't had this car in the shop for anything, so I am nervous, but I do realize my limits.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Crvett69
AF Moderator

if you have a voltmeter you can check the battery voltage while it is running, should be be 13.3-13.8 while it is idling. if it higher than that it can boil the battery dry and if its lower some of the electronic parts may not work right
The Following User Says Thank You to Crvett69 For This Useful Post:
Prof_h (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Prof_h
AF Newbie

Thank you, I'll try it.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Since you had to charge the battery out of storage. How old is your battery?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Prof_h
AF Newbie

I'm back. After checking the voltage when the car was running, from the battery terminals, it seemed very high...18V.
I disconnected the alternator, then checked the voltage again...12-13v.
The car ran great, took it out for a spin, no hesitation, all the power, acceleration I need, up down hills and everything.
Glad to have this forum and all the help. Now, I'll be getting the car fixed. At least I can drive it to the mechanic.
Your question about the age of the battery...I purchased it in May 2015, so it is pretty new.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Crvett69
AF Moderator

have him check the battery, overcharging it can boil it dry

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima