Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > 510
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
Koa41
AF Newbie

Looking for a 510 and Have some questions.

Ok, I'm new to this scene but already love it. I have researched alot of these little cars and are coming soon to owning one of my own. My main question is, would it be better to find a 510 that is running and could just use some TLC or should I buy a shell, engine, tranny, etc. all seperate and restore it from the begining. where I live, a guy is selling a rebuilt L18 motor, and I know I can get my hands on a 4 speed tranny for cheap. I just need to find a shell in decent condition.

also, out of curiosity, are 510's RWD normally or do people convert them. . .?

thanks for your time
Koa41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
dimefury
AF Regular

Re: Looking for a 510 and Have some questions.

all 510s are RWD

your other question is hard to answer, it all depends on what is available for sale in your area.
your profile says that you are located in so.cal, if that is true you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a nice runner or a shell. your main focus when checking out these potential project cars is the body/steel, if it is good, everything else is replaceable. look for dents, excessive bondo, and rust (especially in the floorboards, wheel wells, and spare tire well in the trunk) other than that little bit of advice, i would need specific questions to answer.

welcome to AF and the 510 forum.

good luck on your search.

if you have any other 510/datsun questions, feel free to ask, i'm allways happy to talk about 510s.

oh, BTW, how much is the guy selling his L-18 for? how recent is the rebuild? how many miles?
(not for me, just curious)

i'm running a fully built and balanced L-20b with dual sidedrafts and i just installed a subaru LSD last week (sweet)

.....a picture of my carbs ..... oooh, shiny.
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Koa41
AF Newbie

The rebuilt L-18 is for sale at 100 dollars or best offer. I'll have to call and ask on the miles and the other info.

Thanks for the welcome, I can't wait till I can get ahold of a 510
Koa41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
mango1
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to mango1

sorry this is off topic but I am thinking about doing a l20 swap and building it. what is yours running as far as cam and bore, whats its HP and are you running pumped gas. Ive been looking at the kit from top end performance and it seems like a good price (JE Forged Piston Set with JE Rings,(Your choice of Bore Size, Stroke, and Compression Ratio )Clevite77 Rod and Main Bearings, 44mm and 35mm Stainless Steel Intake and Exhaust valves, Dual Race Valve Springs, TEP Performance Camshaft (Your choice of Grind), Complete Timing Gear Set, Turbo Oil-Pump with Dual Relief springs, ARP Head Stud Set, ARP Rod Bolt Set, Full Gasket set ) $1325.00
mango1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
dimefury
AF Regular

mango1, you have a PM, sorry it took so long.
dimefury is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Datsun > 510