Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
DodgeRam1500
AF Newbie

'05 Dodge Ram 1500 - Tail Lights Not Working

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup. My left brake light, both my rear tail lights and my front parking lights don't seem to be coming on. The 'Lamp Out' message was lit up.

I opened up the back covers and found the center brake bulb in the left tail light was bad. I replaced that.

Now the brake light works, and the lamp out reading on the dash has went away. However, the tail lights are still not coming on, and we have noticed that when we turn the tail lights on, the front parking lights don't light up either.

We checked all the rear bulbs, as well as all the fuses that have anything to do with tail or parking lamps in the fuse panel with a meter. All fuses seem to be good.

Can anyone help me trouble shoot this issue?
Is it possible that one of the parking lights in the front could be defective causing the tail lights not to light up? Signals also work fine on front and rear, as well as the reverse lights & high beams.

Thanks!
DodgeRam1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
polarisfornow
AF Newbie

Re: '05 Dodge Ram 1500 - Tail Lights Not Working

i just found out that i have the exact same problem. all my other lights work just fine but none of the parking lights will come on. i also checked all my fuses and the one relay that was called parking light relay and it turned out good as well. anyone with any ideas. gonna try the switch next its my last shot.

mine is a 03 ram 1500
polarisfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

these are turned on from the fcm,
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
falcon1975
AF Newbie

Did you guys figure it out I have an '04 ram with the same problem and how much did it cost you?
falcon1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
peng66
AF Newbie

I have an 02 dodge ram 4wd quad cab with same exact problem did anyone find out the solution??
peng66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
Obysk
AF Newbie

I'm a licensed mechanic in Canada and I have a 2005 Dodge Ram in my shop with this exact problem. I diagnosed it today and determined that the fault lies within the fuse box (may also be referred to as the Front Control Module [FCM] or Integrated Power Module). To be more specific, I discovered that the park light relay was missing 12V constant on pin 85. I have 12V constant on pin 30 (normal), 12V on pin 86 (normal, switches to ground when park lights demanded) and when I add 12V to pin 87 all the tail/park lights operate.

I did some searching online tonight and I have found numerous forum posts regarding this issue with many individuals having to replace the fuse box. Some individuals even commented that the fuse box was on back order due to demand. I hope this information helps.
Obysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
kyted
AF Newbie

'03 Dodge 4x4 4.7 I just ran into this problem last night. I checked the #15 fuse and swapped the relays around. I was disappointed that there wasn't any posts saying that the problem was the fuse box. Did anyone repalce the fuse box and fix the problem?
kyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Obysk
AF Newbie

@kyted Sorry for the delayed response. I was able to order a replacement fuse box from the dealer to repair my customers 2005 Dodge, see my above post regarding the problem he had. It was as simple as removing the old box and installing the new unit, it comes with all the fuses and a new dust/moisture cover for the bottom of the box. The new dust cover was included to address this issue (corrosion into the fuse box). I hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
kyted
AF Newbie

Just double checking...I wish the cost of the fuse box could be passed on to the customer, but in this case it is me. The dealership here, wants $525.00 for the fuse box. I called another one and theirs is $499.00 Was yours that much? It does not come with the FCM bolted to the side of it. An elctronic expert at work thinks the FCM would be the problem and not the fuse box. He was convinced he could repair the fuse box if I brought it to him...he can't get it open. The FCM is $283.23. I just wanted to double check if the fuse box corrected the problem before I bought it. No call backs? My dealer has not sold any of these.
kyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Obysk
AF Newbie

To confirm, the fuse box installed in my customers 2005 Ram retailed out at around $500. You are correct, the FCM does not come with the new fuse box. I removed the exsisting FCM from the old fuse box and installed it onto the new box before installation. Both the fuse box and FCM are non-serviceable parts, meaning they are not ment to be opened up and repaired. That's not to say you couldn't 'try' opening the box to see if you found anything obvious. After I had repaired my customers truck I actually did open the box for curiosity sake. I had to drill out several plastic rivits and pry the box open. Upon opening the box I found a series of circuit board layers stacked up on top of eachother with a printed circuit board at the very bottom. I couldn't see anything obviously wrong by eye, but the part was obviously bad. In my case the fuse box was the culprit, not the FCM, but your own diagnostic testing will confirm that for you. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #11
jkennedy80
AF Newbie

Just fixed this problem after about a year driving without either taillight working in my 2005 1500 5.7. After several attempts to troubleshoot various ideas (changing light bulbs, changing tail light circuit board, etc.) Nothing worked, went back down to the auto store and the clerk said to try changing out the brake lamp switch. After a quick 30 minutes (because I'm a moron when it comes to doing anything mechanical) I had replaced my old one and rechecked with success. Hooooowever, the issue I'm facing now is that my ABS/Brake light coming up on my dash. After I replaced the brake light switch, my battery somehow drained. It's been cold, about 20 degrees, so maybe that was a factor. Put a drip charge on it, came back several hours later and started my truck up. That's when I noticed the ABS/Brake light on. Figured I'd tackle that one tomorrow.
jkennedy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jkennedy80 For This Useful Post:
maxwedge (11-29-2021)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2005 , dodge , lights , ram , tail
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10