Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
abboq
AF Newbie

Angry I despise the fact that trucks are now cool!

Is anyone else disgusted by the popularity that trucks now have in our society? It used to be you bought a truck, because you planned on doing WORK with it. Well, not anymore!

It seems as if now, the "coolest" vehicles to buy are trucks and SUVs, regardless of whether or not the buyer actually needs their vehicle's utility. Not only is this the pinnacle of American wastefulness, but Ford, Chevy, and Dodge have "watered down" their truck lines to cater to this new softer consumer sector.

What do I mean by "watered down"? Today's trucks are no longer work trucks. They are play toys that get shown off. They come with 18 and 20 inch aluminum wheels, Harley Davidson endorsements, and other crap you would only expect on sports cars. Ford even calls their new F-150 STX, and I quote, "a sleek, sporty look." I would never have used those words to describe a pickup truck twenty years ago. Never! Ford's F-150 Lariat even comes with a center console and a "sporty" floor shifter, on a truck!

You hardly ever see trucks with long beds anymore. Why? BECAUSE NO ONE USES TRUCKS LIKE TRUCKS! In fact, some trucks even come with a "CUTE" little four foot bed. How nice. I can't even put my groceries in that small a space! Factor in all the wonderful snazzy little accessories that are now offered, and trucks seem more like glorified luxury station wagons (that just happen to have a small bed on that back).

Today's trucks are marketed to those wannabe tough guys who want to look "mean" and "cool" by buying a big truck, but know little or nothing about using and maintaining one. But in reality, they have to take their trucks to Speed Lube to have their oil changed because they don't know how, and if they did, they wouldn't want to get their hands dirty. In actually, they are just following the popularized trend along with the SUV buyers.

They want trucks that will pamper their lazy butts. Trucks that drive like cars, and look like SUVs. They are buying more truck than they will ever need, and they are only contributing to our nation's energy crisis, because most trucks get 15-20 mpg.

Worst of all, those soft truck buyers make the rest of us (REAL MEN who were driving trucks BEFORE they were "cool" and "in-style") look bad!

Sorry, I feel better now.
abboq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:05 AM   #2
FastCat
AF Newbie

Yep, know where you're coming from. I've had Ford trucks for 30 years. Here's the thing that really hurts. Recently I checked the resale on my 2000 F150 and about fell over. This glut of glamour trucks has made the resale on all trucks plummet. I used to buy the Ford trucks for the resale. The key words are "used to". I'm going to really need to reappraise my need for my next vehicle.

Ford has so badly flooded the market with these high priced "going-to-market" pick-ups that we are all going to suffer. Ford's really sitting sweet in their success though. They gotta' love having every soccer mom and metro-sexual dad buying their trucks. Notice how the price of Ford pick-ups have sky rocketedin the past two years? Even in the face of other manufacturers giving some nice long warranties to win over new customers, Ford has decided not to back their trucks much at all. Why not? Supply & Demand baby!

As a result the competition just jacks up the price on their over-priced trash so that they can be just under the Ford's. Talk about inflation at work. Is this what Ford considers a good overall market strategy? It seems to me that they are just helping swing their pickup market right over into the competition's strike zone for a few more bucks now. We'll see.
FastCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Sorry that some of us havent been around to drive trucks 30 plus years ago. And sorry that some of us like to customize our trucks to ride and look better than stock. And I'm sorry that they don't make trucks for work anymore.......oh wait a minute, thats right they do. They're the base line bottom end model. The manufacturers are a business trying to make a profit. Hence they tailor their vehicles to the wants of the consumer, therefore, the nice exteriors/interiors/and options. I dont know one person who doesn't buy a vehicle for looks, they all do.

If you want a truck from the past then go buy an f-100 or something along those lines. And if you have to get a new truck, then buy the lowest model, long bed, 3/4 ton or 1-ton p/u.

I've heard people bitch about SUV's and trucks, but never b/c they've gotten to "sporty".
Old 11-10-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
x308
AF Newbie

Re: I despise the fact that trucks are now cool!

Jass up your trucks all you want, the ones that bug me are the people who go to thier home improvement store to by a door, and try sticking it in a hatch of a yugo. GET A TRUCK
x308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:04 PM   #5
abboq
AF Newbie

Angry Spoiled American Wastefulness

Texas, you missed my point. Trucks have always been a symbol of work. When I look for a truck, I demand utility, function,
and longevity, with a "ride and look better than stock" ranking in much lower on my list of priorities. Form always follows
function. Everything else is secondary.

I just see a lot of people wasting a lot of hard-earned money on trucks they really do not use. I think of all the other
things that their "Euro tails," Z-Rated tires (that wear out in 15,000 miles), aluminum wheels, hydraulic suspensions, bass stereos, cold-air intake, and performance exhaust could buy.

Unfortunately, great prosperity often creates a lack of appreciation. Today, we live in a country of excess goods. People
have the ability to invest huge amounts of resources into optional luxuries like your truck. You said it yourself, you like
to "customize" your truck so that it looks "better than stock". Customizing it certainly is not mandatory, it is more of a
luxury.

Maybe I am just tempered by harder times.

Maybe I am to fault, since I can remember living in this country at a time when an ENTIRE FAMILY was lucky to own ONE SINGLE
vehicle. Let alone several "customized" trucks. Some would say that I should not be so cautious about sacrificing precious
resources on optional frivolous luxuries, but I am constantly reminded of harder years, when money and resources were scarce
and were never wasted on optional luxuries.

You all may say "hell, relax and enjoy these prosperous times," but I still cannot indulge. The wonderful economic boom of
the past two decades may not last forever. We could as a nation see hard economic times again, maybe even in the
not-too-distant future. If we had another Great Depression, do you think the major car makers would worry about whether or
not their twenty inch aluminum wheels were bright enough? Do you think they would lobby to get Harley-Davidson's endorsement
so that can add a licensed label to the tailgate?

If we had a Great Depression next year, complete with gas rationing, how many people would flock to sell their 13 MPG trucks
and SUVs that they never really needed in the beginning?

Hard times force people realize WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT. This country has been lucky long enough to forget what is really
important. Advanced as our economy may be, it is still grounded in hard work. That is why I demand a truck that can
perform; I demand a truck that can work as hard as I do. Unfortunately, the major truck industries have forgotten the
meaning of work. That was my original point in the first post, Texas.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #6
Route666
AF Regular

send some of those goods my way if you've got too many, I'll sure appreciate them I think you're right though. I like to appreciate things, I buy things I know I'll keep for much longer than other things like it, like lighters. I bought a zippo, sure it cost more than a disposable lighter, but it looks better, it has a better tactility to it, it functions better, no need to keep holding the gas on, and it's windproof (resistant). I think that is the way everything should be, they should make hundreds of something, not hundreds of thousands. I really don't see the appeal in trucks either. Here in Australia we have utes (utility vehicles) which are basically sedans with the back half chopped off and a truck tray put on the back. They, I can accept people treating them more like sports cars, but I still find it funny to see lowered, big rimmed cars with a whole section that is now useless. They look pretty cool though, better than trucks imo.

White Zombie
Route666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
Re: Spoiled American Wastefulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by abboq
Texas, you missed my point. Trucks have always been a symbol of work. When I look for a truck, I demand utility, function,
and longevity, with a "ride and look better than stock" ranking in much lower on my list of priorities. Form always follows
function. Everything else is secondary.

I just see a lot of people wasting a lot of hard-earned money on trucks they really do not use. I think of all the other
things that their "Euro tails," Z-Rated tires (that wear out in 15,000 miles), aluminum wheels, hydraulic suspensions, bass stereos, cold-air intake, and performance exhaust could buy.

Unfortunately, great prosperity often creates a lack of appreciation. Today, we live in a country of excess goods. People
have the ability to invest huge amounts of resources into optional luxuries like your truck. You said it yourself, you like
to "customize" your truck so that it looks "better than stock". Customizing it certainly is not mandatory, it is more of a
luxury.

Good luck with everything.
Maybe I am just tempered by harder times.

Maybe I am to fault, since I can remember living in this country at a time when an ENTIRE FAMILY was lucky to own ONE SINGLE
vehicle. Let alone several "customized" trucks. Some would say that I should not be so cautious about sacrificing precious
resources on optional frivolous luxuries, but I am constantly reminded of harder years, when money and resources were scarce
and were never wasted on optional luxuries.

You all may say "hell, relax and enjoy these prosperous times," but I still cannot indulge. The wonderful economic boom of
the past two decades may not last forever. We could as a nation see hard economic times again, maybe even in the
not-too-distant future. If we had another Great Depression, do you think the major car makers would worry about whether or
not their twenty inch aluminum wheels were bright enough? Do you think they would lobby to get Harley-Davidson's endorsement
so that can add a licensed label to the tailgate?

If we had a Great Depression next year, complete with gas rationing, how many people would flock to sell their 13 MPG trucks
and SUVs that they never really needed in the beginning?

Hard times force people realize WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT. This country has been lucky long enough to forget what is really
important. Advanced as our economy may be, it is still grounded in hard work. That is why I demand a truck that can
perform; I demand a truck that can work as hard as I do. Unfortunately, the major truck industries have forgotten the
meaning of work. That was my original point in the first post, Texas.
I see what you mean, but the trucks with features can still last really long. I have a lot of family that lives in the country so i know about "putting a truck to use". But living in the city and being a HUGE car guy all my life(im only 22 though),and seeing such diversity of personal styles has drawn me in to the custom truck industry starting at a young age.

I've been really lucky in life to be able to have luxaries and excess needs(which some times i forget how lucky i am). But I don't just blow my money, I save up for what i want and make sure it can fit in my budget before i "blow" my money. I value each dollar, b/c i know how fast it can be consumed. I totally understand going through tough times, my families certainly been through them. Like I said earlier though, car makers run a business and their job is to make a profit by any means necessary. Its really unfortunate that its like that, but thats the business world for you unfortunately.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:02 PM   #8
abboq
AF Newbie

Re: I have respect for your interests

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasF355F1
I see what you mean, but the trucks with features can still last really long. I have a lot of family that lives in the country so i know about "putting a truck to use". But living in the city and being a HUGE car guy all my life(im only 22 though),and seeing such diversity of personal styles has drawn me in to the custom truck industry starting at a young age.

I've been really lucky in life to be able to have luxaries and excess needs(which some times i forget how lucky i am). But I don't just blow my money, I save up for what i want and make sure it can fit in my budget before i "blow" my money. I value each dollar, b/c i know how fast it can be consumed. I totally understand going through tough times, my families certainly been through them. Like I said earlier though, car makers run a business and their job is to make a profit by any means necessary. Its really unfortunate that its like that, but thats the business world for you unfortunately.
Well, I read your post, and I would like to point out that I respect your interests. I realize that you do have a lot invested in your truck: time, expense, and pride. It shows too; your truck looks great. I can respect it though it differs from my vision of a truck.

Thank god we live in a country where we can choose to spend our hard earned money however we want.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
monk
AF Newbie

they just dont build them "tough" at all. i can see both your points and agree totally with abboq. i couldnt have said it better. thank you. me well i live in the middle of the kalamath national forest and have a 20 to 13 mile dirt road to traverse {depending on witch way i go) with one neighbor. my 2000 f-150 #7700 5.4 has fallen apart!!! base model it is not! built tough it is not. my shackles that hold my leaf springs on in the rear cracked and one broke completly off up in the air! no shit. this part is rivited to the frame! shocks suck after 3 pairs i went with air ride shocks, this is a 3/4 ton 1/2 ton now equiped with over load air ride shocks.why? because ford stopped making work trucks years ago!!!! the other day after 2 inches of snow the heater started smelling like coolant simple right ? wrong 700.00 dollars please. a new core 50.00 the time to take the dash board off and replace the core 600.00. remote entry no longer ,stopped working 20,000 miles ago.(maybe another 200.oo) transmissions leaking ? mine was they fixed it after i held the trained ase mechanics hand and told him how.(computer reliant fools). factory defect paint bubble on door fixed 2x by ford once and not again by me 400.00. anybody have a clicking noise in their dashboard? i do what is it? ford ase couldnt even tell ya. rubber door seals are hanging on driver side!!!! what!!!! A B S lights on? mine was 75.00. you cant even work on these trucks yourself unless you have a degree in spaghitti!!!! this truck is a love hate its nice to be comfortable wile actually using my truck but a 78 pick up with a busted hood,no door widows a bad exhaust,smashed in doors (that was fun) a touchie feelie starter is built tough.as well as our 3 1942 power wagons,1969 international,1986 landcruiser and others. "we live where cars come to die" fords moto should be "BUILT CITY TOUGH" would i buy another ??? Yes i would like a 350 diesel but come on 30,000 45,000 for a workable truck thats going to rattle apart every 5-10,000 miles get real. build me a truck i can use or i will. Anybody want to start a real truck company??? serious. ill even test them in "Real truck conditions" 1940 power wagons rule
monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 02:33 PM   #10
Notorious_Ford_Guy
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Notorious_Ford_Guy Send a message via Yahoo to Notorious_Ford_Guy

monk this is like the 3rd time i've read your fucking post on a different thread,

grow up and move on!

1995 Ford Thunderbird
1992 Ford Explorer
1990 Ford F-150
Notorious_Ford_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:03 AM   #11
gargoyle
AF Newbie

OK, Well I like the Ford truck. That's my Dad's & his Dad's fault I guess. They both had'em. Although my Dad has had a few more Dodge's than Ford. His reason?? Ford wanted to much. I bought my very first truck at 19. I wanted a "Work Truck". So I bought a 1994 F-150 XL 4x4 in-line 300 straight six 4.9L brand new from the dealer's lot. Best truck I've ever owned. I take pride in my ride's, But not fashionable like. I put it to the test of power and long lasting. I rememeber my friends having heart attact's when they seen the long-bed of my brand new truck 2 week's after I bought it! That's right it looked as if it had been on the truck for 20 years dented,scratched, and beaten all to hell. My tail gate on the inside had dent's that you could see from the outside when it was up. First thing I did when I brought it home was take it to a friend's roofing company and load everything that I could in the long-bed and drop a trailer on it and hauled it to one of his job site ( for free) just to see if the truck would handle it. Rather or not if it fit's into my bed, I'll haul it. I washed it 2 or 3 time's a year, most of time that would be after winter to remove the salt from the roads. I'm hard on cars/trucks I'm awear of this. That's why I buy truck's. I'd still have my 94 Ford if this kid hadn't took the cornner to fast in the snow and plowed into it. He wrapped it 1/2 around the tree in my front yard. I currently own a 1980 F-150 4x4 custom. Look's like utter shit, makes more noise than a train, ride's like a horse an buggy, get's wet inside the cab on rainy days, no radio, no A/C and steer's like it's on ice. But its straight and soild, and start's when I turn the key any time of the year and handles everything I do to it. I'm rough, I live way back in the stick's our raods are mainly gravel and dirt until town, I don't dodge pot hole's cause there's just too damn many. My trucks don't run fast, don't look good, and only the 94 sounded good. But then I've only had 2 truck's. I won't buy a new truck. Ford want's way to much, Chevy can't build one to handle my need's and Dodge build's truck's for speed which is nice and all, but will it still be running in ten years hauling what ever I tose on it?? I think it nice that everone wants a truck. I love'em. If I'm out an about and the wife say's she want's me to fix something in the house, I can go right to the hardware store and get it. I don't have to go home to get the truck or borrow one from a friend. I dont like the 4 door truck's much though, An exstened cab is ok because you can still get the long-bed with it. The newer trucks sure do look nice an all, But I can't work on them when they break down as monk has stated. If I can't sit inside under the hood and not break something or move easly then I don't want it. And if it squast down to the rim's when I toss a trailer on it ( which most chevy's that I have driven always do) then it anit no truck. That's just me though. Just my opinion's I like to view what other poeple do to show truck's. I think that's just plain "ol neat man! Big rims, fansty paint job's, dropped down low and all tricked out, that kinda stuff is pretty darn nice looking! I just wouldn't buy the truck because I know I'd mess all the really neat stuff up. I'm just rough with a truck. And if I did buy a new truck, I'd have to tear out the engine and tranny and put in an old 351 or 460 with a carb. on it so's I could change spark plugs, starters, alt's and little things like that. I opened the hood on a brand new 2002 F-150 and couldn't tell what was what under there! And I don't like mazda tranny's under my Ford truck's either. My 94 had just that, and it did ok I guess, I think an old c-4 would have done better though. But hell what do I know I'm just a dumb 'ol 27 year old local truck driver. I've NEVER had a Ford that just fell apart like Monk says. They've prove to me, and my family, That their built tough and they go the lasting mile. So do want you want to do to your truck, Pride come's in many diffrent form's. As long as your proud of it, Well that just all that matter's. I get just as many looks at my truck as everyone eles does. Well more nose's turn up ward or shocked and startled looks, but no body stop short in front of me, and no body play's chicken with me, and it won't ever be stolen. So texas keep on tricking out your truck, methinks it's pretty cool. And abboq I see you point too, and like that fact that you too respect other Idead's. I can't agree more with x308!
gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 05:41 PM   #12
trukasaurus
AF Newbie

I don't think that the quality today has suffered, however price and options keep the blue collar working man away from these units. All I see nowdays are a bunch of suits driving around in $50,000 pickups and suv's with leather , thinking that they are some outdoorsman who need to shift into 4x4 to crawl a concrete block to get a parking stall at the opera. Bitter that I can't afford a 2004 f-150 lariat 4x4? You bet. Anyway, now that I got that off my chest, keep on trucking.
trukasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:50 PM   #13
abboq
AF Newbie

New truck reliability has been poor in my experience

I don't have scientific research to back my opinion here, just personal experience.

I currently own two trucks: a 1979 GMC Heavy-Half, and a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. I use the Dodge to drive when I take the lady out, and when I want the luxuries of comfort and quiet. When I want to get to work, I get out my '79. It ain't quiet, it ain't pretty, but it will take a beatin' and come back for more. It will run circles around my Dodge, even though she's twice as old as my Dodge. She's my baby.

I weigh 200 pounds, and I can sit on the hood of my '79 GMC without any fear of bending the hood. I can't even !!!LEAN!!! on the side of my Ram because the sheet metal is so thin it will bend!!! Damn, that metal must be *at least* half as thin as my '79.

I have roughly 190,000 miles on my GMC. It idles perfectly. It revs up with no problems. Aside from normal carburation issues, it starts up easily in the winter. I have taken excellent care of it, but it has not been rebuilt or drastically modified. With the exception of normal maintenence (oil, transmission fluid, brake pads, etc.), I have not needed to replace any major components on the truck.

On my '95 Ram, however, at just 90,000 miles, I had to replace the Piman Arm. The part alone cost me seventy dollars. I couldn't figure how that piece wore out so quickly... I drove my '79 for twice the mileage and that part never wore out. When I asked the guy at the dealership, he told me (and I am completely serious) that their trucks aren't really designed to go beyond 100,000 miles. I told him that he should advertise that fact and then see how many trucks they sell.

I dunno about everyone else, but when I buy something, I want to stick with it. I hate the disposeable part of our American society, and I refuse to give in to it. I like to hold on to my things. I get my money's worth out of nearly everything that I buy, and I like to buy things that last, not things that are built "City Tough" (thank you Monk, I love your post).
Old 12-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #14
AutobahnSHO
AF Newbie

I think you need to chill

Our culture is changing, you gotta adapt to the latest trends and not bitch about it.
AutobahnSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:33 AM   #15
Valk1500
AF Newbie

ABS light on

Monk,
Sounds like you got off cheap at $75 if Ford fixed your ABS light issue. I took some time and searched: http://www.f150online.com/index.cfm and found how to fix it myself for a $15 sensor and 10 min. under the truck...
Valk1500 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series