Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
demotim00
AF Regular

Question 2003 XLT FX4 Supercrew Gas Mileage

I have a 2003 XLT supercrew with the FX4 off road package with the 5.4L V8 and automatic trans that I bought back in February about mid way through the month. I just got my 10th tank of fuel today. All I have done is 2WD driving only, about 50/50 mixture of city/highway driving. My first tank of gas was 14 mpg, after that every tank has been between 11.5-12.5 mpg with a 10 tank average of 12.3 mpg. Is this typical mileage or am I short a few mpg. The truck has 177xxx miles on it and runs like a brand new truck. No clue when any maintenance has been done, other then I did an oil change shortly after buying it. If I am short by a few mpg what do you's think the best way to increase it without breaking the bank (I'm on disability, and am low income and can't really perform much work myself and have to have a shop do most of my work for me.
demotim00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
StumpedGMowner1
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 XLT FX4 Supercrew Gas Mileage

Well if your on disability then why do you have a work horse for a truck. If you where looking for fuel economy than a super crew f-150 with a 5.4l motor and 3.55 gears in the rear end was not the way to go. But that being said you are a little low on mpg average but only by about a 1.6mpg city difference. Only inexpensive mod would be a k-n filter. Other than that a high flow exhaust system $$$ and a rear end gear swap from 3.55 to 3.74 again $$$.
StumpedGMowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

I had an accident two years ago and couldn't walk for six months or bend my legs for another six. I know that without my big 05 Expedition I wouldn't have been able to get around on my own without the extra room these vehicles provide.
As for your mileage, that is about what you can expect for that one ton. My expy with 5.4 can get 17 on the highway with the better geared rear end, but my wife's lead foot punching it whenever she drives brings the usual average down to 12.
If you need a one ton for hauling, towing, etc, then keep it. If you want a truck for size, comfort, but also mileage and not a lot of money, then maybe look around for a 97 to 02 F-150 extended cab with a 4.2l V6. They can get up to 20 mpg and are reasonable in the price. If you traded for it you could get cash back between it and your one ton.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
demotim00
AF Regular

I bought the truck as I need a larger truck as I have trouble getting in and out of lower vehicles, plus im on the large size and need for room, not counting I do a lot of time haul my nieces and nephews around or other passangers and that is why I had to get me a supercrew cab. So regardless of gas mileage and im not getting rid of the truck and I wasn't complaining about the low gas mileage, only checking to see if its about normal for these trucks or if I'm on the low side.
demotim00 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series