Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Initial D
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Initial D Japanese Cartoon Racing, Drifting and more.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Inital D

How many of yiou think you can actually pull of the stuff they do in Initial D....
Derek: Haha AF Sig Material
Old 06-07-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

I know I can, and I know my car is capable of it, and I know that it is not a particularly useful driving technique for 99.999% of all competition out there. It can be fun, and when rallying or occasionally autocrossing it's useful, but beyond that it's showboating. Sometimes, it's fun to just toss about the car and maintain momentum instead of trying to brake and accelerate with a less powerful car.

And by the way, I learned how to drift my MGB from old Paddy Hopkirk at the Targa Florio footage not Initial D. As it turns out, they drifted old sportscars in the major rallyes back in the 60's. It's pretty neat to watch big Healeys, Triumphs, and MG's going through the Monacan Alps completely crossed up.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #3
endlesskev86
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to endlesskev86
THATS IT!!!
I AM TIRED OF THIS!!!................... Initial D is FAKE!!!!! okay!!... sorry if i offended anyone.. i am a fan of Initial D... but i am smart to know the stuff they pull of is fake. I know soem kids that think they are all that after seeing or playin Initial D... i am sick of this bullshit
AF OG Dori crew (member #5)

Altezzas: It only looks good if you have the FULL car, not just the LIGHTS!! grinyes:
Old 06-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #4
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

I agree, Kev. It occured to me that the series might be fake when I noticed that every scene was either created with ink or a computer.

No, it isn't realistic. Even with Keichi Tsuchiya as a technical advisor, they still exaggerated the movements of the cars to a great degree. However, I'm not one of the drift posers who ran out and bought 240SX's as soon as Super Street told them it was cool, or one that believes that a Hachi is capable of the sort of movement it has in the series without extreme modification.

Drifting is only useful in three places; hillclimbs, dirt ovals and rally courses. (Yes, take a look at dirt latemodels or sprint cars, there's some serious drifting going on there) Otherwise, it's just a show-off technique done for personal amusment and to use car control to impress people.

Now, why bother with getting so het-up about the series one way or the other? It's just a lot of fun to watch.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:41 PM   #5
Averux
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Averux
I figure some of what they do is possible, I figure some of it is not. It is not worth getting upset over either way. Unless someone has advanced experience doing that sort of thing or has advanced degrees in mathematics (trigonometry / geometry) I doubt they can say for all certanty. What I find most unrealistic is that a father would actually encourage his son to go out and do this, no wrecks end in serious injuries (Itekani gets a little beat up in the begining and that is it), and you never see a single cop in the whole series.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:51 AM   #6
LanEvo8 Lindo
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Inital D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorikin
How many of yiou think you can actually pull of the stuff they do in Initial D....
Like one of those other guys out there, that said he can drift. Hell yeah yeah I can drift and my machine (Evo 8, or as us Yanks call tem Lancer Evolution) for damn sure can! However that is not something that I would like to do to my car every time that I have a road race. I know someone out there has thought about tire ware and unless you have sponsers to fit he bill (like most of us don't) Z tires can get very costly. I mean hell that is the only way that a 1.5 L N/A with an out put of a 92 HP, or a 2 L turbo chagered with an out put of 290 HP is going to stay on the road. Anyway there are some good techs. that come out on Inital D. Like in the "2nd Stage" DVD series. When Takumi is racing that AE 86 Turbo. Once they got to the dead end they both brake drift to get their machines to make a 180 degree turn and start the battle going the other way. I have used it in a race and it works. The guy I was racing against didn't know what hit him. N E wayz..... Everyone should just relax about the whole Inital D thing and enjoy it for what it is. ENTERTAINMENT!!! Or we'll start talking about if we can jump lowered Skylines over a Supra from a rasied bridge without any external or internal damage........... Audi 5000!!!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 05:03 PM   #7
JeffForSale!
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JeffForSale!
Re: Re: Inital D

Ok...but why, why the heck did you bump a 3 month old thread? If anything is older than 3 weeks, we normally start a NEW thread,
please...
bad way to start off you know
Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
hideaway1
AF Newbie

Re: Inital D

Actually , to say taht it is all fake or all real would be a lie! I nkow it may be really hard to drift5 a car on a mountain or on the street but not impossible, it sis simply a matter of practice, it has taken me a few years to actually get a pretty good control of my cars but it is true that persistence pays off eventually, I can't say that I'm an expert becuase well I would never go against some of the best japan has to offer ( well just not right now) but I kow that I have become pretty good at drifting the hell out off my car. so please if your not a beliver that this can be done just stay quiet, and if you think all off it is real them your just to young or maive to realize that some of those moves would be almost impossible to make. For the none belivers close to the 915 or the 505 areas you can always go to El Paso Texas (known to some as Hell Paso) and check it out, trust me when I left taht town man y peoplen had already accomplish to develop pretty good technics, and you can also stop by atomic auto options and check out this shop!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

Re: Inital D

Please do not resurrect threads from YEARS ago. Thread locked.